Little Help - Hyundai Elantra 2013 ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I hope the knowledgeable crowd here can help with an issue - I noted that my 2013 Elantra with ~255000Km had not had any service to the Transaxle for ~150000kms. There were no specific issues with it but I wanted to check the condition of the fluid and I had been having a little "burble" with the engine that might have been related to the transmission and I wanted to exclude any transmission problems. The transmission was filled with SP4M after a flush by the dealer prior to 100000Km.

So being that I didn't think I needed a full flush, I chose to head to a "Mr Lube" to do a simple drain and fill, as I thought it would be the best way to check the fluid and top up with some fresh. Well they were a little confusing with what was on offer between what fluid was being used and drain/fill vs flush - they seemed to be more concerned if my transmission was under warranty or not. In the end I thought I was getting SP4M for a drain and fill.

During the drain and fill I asked the tech doing up the invoice about the ATF fluid and he let me know that it wasn't SP4M but rather Mobile Multi-Vehicle ATF. I was concerned but he told me that it met the specs for Hyundai, so I thought it must be ok.

The checks (selecting each gear - twice through, up and back) seemed alright and after a the final start up I departed the garage. Three blocks later I was trying to reverse into a parking spot and the transmission would not come out of Drive/Neutral into Reverse. It was locked in either Drive or Neutral and I noted I could not use the manual shifting capability (as well the D/N indicator on the dash was not present). I immediately returned to the shop and they checked the levels again (all good) and made a note on my invoice but told me nothing they did could be at fault. Notwithstanding the errors I was able to get the car home and by using the shift lock release I was able to get the car into Park and shut off. I restarted to see what would happen and the gear lever was making its way through all the gears but again there was no indicator on the dash and as I found out the car was unable to find reverse (in gear but no movement). I could cycle the shift lever through all the gears up until I moved forward in Drive then again it would not shift back past Neutral. I did a short around the block drive to try and warm the fluid (to see if that mattered) and I got the Check Engine Light so shut her down. I left it in the drive overnight as there was little to do until morning (possibly with an early trip to the dealer).

The next morning, I undid the battery (in an attempt to reset the PCM) and after a short time and reattaching the battery - all seemed fine. The car operated as per normal, all gears and indications were as normal for the rest of the day - no check engine. Shifts seemed a little different but not significantly so. I thought all was good...

This morning the issues was back - no reverse, no indications and once I select drive and move the car the lever is locked into Neutral or Drive (but no check engine). Again I undid the battery and afterward everything seems to work as normal.

The Mr Lube rep tells me that the Mobile Multi-Vehicle ATF is suitable for my Elantra but has offered to flush the transaxle and replace with SP4M at cost of the fluid (no labour). I am waiting for a call when they get the fluid from Hyundai.

I checked the ExxonMobile website and there is no indication that their Mobile Multi-Vehicle ATF is compatible with SP4M (or SPIV/SPIII for that matter) and the viscosities seem too high in comparision to the LV SP fluids.

Mobile Multi Vehicle ATF

Sorry for the long post but:

1. Can anyone confirm that Mobile Multi-Vehicle ATF is or is not suitable for the Hyundai Elantra (the shop manager tells me their information from the manufacturer says it is)

2. Is it possible the issues I am seeing are simply due to inappropriate fluid?

Whatever help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated

Crash

That fluid that they used is incorrect. You need a low viscosity fluid and that formula you linked to if they used it is the higher viscosity.
It also doesn't carry the Hyundai OE specification in the PDS both in approval and recommended application type.

I would have them completely flush and refill the transmission with OE fluid. (Takes 7.7 quarts total)

I would also contact Mr. Lube head office and inform them of the problem.

Your manual for reference: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/myhyunda...2013/ELANTRA/2013_hyundai_elantra_om.pdf

Trans.png

Last edited:
When you flush you use more than the total capacity usually around +20%

so they should put aprox 10qts through.

IMO The proper way to service these transmissions is to use the drain pan plug.. and do it every 30k miles.
if you have SP-III, SP-IV you could probably stretch to every 50k miles.

Take about 5 extra mins when doing oil change. And the fluid never gets nasty.

Thanks Guys

Heading back to the "Mr Lube" where they will flush and replace with Hyundai dealer ATF.

Costly but worth the try, hopefully that will get the transaxle working as it should.... fingers crossed

Thanks for the help and the advice

Crash

Hopefully they got the level correct as there is no dipstick. Also, The Critic informed me that its faster to fill with atf if you loosen the top cooler line as its a sealed transmission. I have not tried that, but i can tell you it is slow to fill without it loosened.

Here is the procedure i used to change mine myself. It does not mention loosening the top radiator cooler line, i will try that next time.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/md-2011-pr...sion-fluid.html

I doubt OP's problem is related to viscoisty or Mobil MV ATF.
Spasm3 could be right with incorrect fluid level ...... or electric current connectivity issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back