Lithium 18V Rechargeable Batteries

I've recently been given some Ryobi tools with rechargeable Lithium 18V batteries. As a result I now have 3 identical batteries, but only ever need 2. One of the batteries is still in the original package. In my experience these rechargeable batteries have a limited life and replacing them costs almost as much as buying a whole new tool. So.... from a long life point of view, would I be better off (1) puting all 3 into use right away, or (2) keeping one in the package until the others pack it in? Also, from a long life point of view, do you think a Lithium battery should be run right down (what I do now), or kept charged up?

Put all 3 to use. A lithium battery slowly loses useful life even if unused. Don't let them discharge below 30% for best results. Let it charge but don't go 100% charge. I've read a scientific article say that a lithium cell is most vulnerable when it is "fully lithiumized."

Last edited:

ecotourist

Thanks all. I'll put that 3rd battery into use. It's too bad the charger doesn't have a partial charge function but I can at least (1) not let them fully discharge, (2) not let them sit in the charger, and (3) keep them in a cool place (the basement).

Originally Posted By: Eddie
+1. I kept a Li battery for years as an unused spare and found it was dead due to age and charge went to zero.
A good healthy cell should not die at the proper 40% charge state. I've stored plenty of cells for years with no issue. I have been using 18650 rechargeable batteries for a long time.