Liqui Moly 4200 5w30 Genuinity Suspect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again all,

Once I received the Liqui Moly 4200 5w30 oil that I purchased online from the website of the distributor I felt worried about the authenticity.

As I have read on the net the Liqui Moly oil should not be sold online by the distributors. If that is right then I am not sure why the distributor sell it online.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
The box looks like it was cut and re welded which looks sassy.

The pattern of the box is also not neat (near the handle)

As I have 14 days to return it free without giving any reason, I decided to buy the same oil from another online reputable seller as well...And I got more shocked as the canisters and even stickers dont even match!

First one (from the distributor which has a cut and welding mark) produced in Dec 19 and the second one October 19. Both boxes are totally different.

The one on the left has lighter color sticker
The gap between 'Made in Germany' and the end of the triangle sticker are not equal. Different stickers even.
The 'Ulm Band IV Nr 1172' is missing at the second one...

The date and batch number priting formats are also different at the second one (comparing with the first one above)

I dont even feel like keeping the one from the distributor as the cut and welding mark on the face of the canister is very questionable.
And the second one's bottom is missing a writing when the same canister supplier even had that writing at one of the original product videos on the net...

Depending on responses I will decide whether to keep one or buy oil from petrol station.

What do you think about the authenticity of the any of the two?

Look forward to see your opinions...

Cheers

Last edited:
Well now you have to order from a third place because who knows which is correct.

I would imagine an email to LM will probably clear this up, whether it's actually fake or maybe both are totally genuine. They were bottled a few months apart.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Well now you have to order from a third place because who knows which is correct.

I would imagine an email to LM will probably clear this up, whether it's actually fake or maybe both are totally genuine. They were bottled a few months apart.

That was the first thing I did. I used their facebook communication option. Awaiting for an answer still. Thanks in anyway.

They use millions of oil bottles per week, and probably have 4 or 5 different plastic moulding places that supply bottles to them - consequently you have to expect some variation. Also, as a printer runs low on ink the quality of the print will sometimes vary, also from printer to printer and even if the screen colours have no been calibrated against a test card there will be variation.

If you require absolute cetainty then send all the photos to the manufacturer and await their response

I was recently purchasing transfer case gear oil at Auto Zone and 3 out of 4 bottles of Valvoline (80W90 1quart) on the shelf were seeping oil near the top ... very tiny seep but they were wet and my hand got a little oily. The seams near the neck looked very thin and imperfect. One could have assumed that someone messed with the bottles but i think in my case it was just a manufacturing issue.

Originally Posted by PimTac
If they are not allowed to sell it online then why are you trying to purchase it online?

I am not sure they are not allowed to sell online but I ve read this info on another overseas forum. Not sure if that policy is valid or applies to the country I live.

Originally Posted by Olas
They use millions of oil bottles per week, and probably have 4 or 5 different plastic moulding places that supply bottles to them - consequently you have to expect some variation. Also, as a printer runs low on ink the quality of the print will sometimes vary, also from printer to printer and even if the screen colours have no been calibrated against a test card there will be variation.

If you require absolute cetainty then send all the photos to the manufacturer and await their response

You are right mate.

I got answer from Liqui Moly this morning. They confirmed the batch and made no comment about the pictures. But the line on the box is normal as I saw it at some German sellers items even in Germany after doing further research. And I opened and used the oil from the distributor, and returned the other one.

Also changed the pcv valve as a preventative maintenance..So smooth so far.

This is not my first ever oil change but reading the Russian sources about identical fake oils made me worry so much.

I have never ever suspected from authenticity of oils in the past...Because fakes were very obvious, but today fakes are not obvious anymore. The more we research the more we learn...

Thank you very much for your help.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
I was recently purchasing transfer case gear oil at Auto Zone and 3 out of 4 bottles of Valvoline (80W90 1quart) on the shelf were seeping oil near the top ... very tiny seep but they were wet and my hand got a little oily. The seams near the neck looked very thin and imperfect. One could have assumed that someone messed with the bottles but i think in my case it was just a manufacturing issue.

I have no idea how trustworthy is AutoZone. But after paying lots of money to those products I prefer to get a product without any visual problem even. It is very less likely for someone to sell fake gear oil as they are sold in small 1 lt canisters which is not very profitable. This is just my opinion. I am not sure ofcourse. I would expect everything from today's humanbeing...

Thanks to everyone. Maybe the Admin should delete this thread, so people who produce fake oils should not see what we discuss and suspect..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back