Linux Mint

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those thinking of trying Linux I recommend trying the new version of Linux Mint based on Debian/Ubuntu. It has all the Plug-ins and Codex installed if you use the version that requires burning to a DVD.

Link To Linux Mint Web Site

For those with an old laptop or desktop laying around, try the LXDE version.

It requires 192 MB of Ram with at least 3 GB of hard drive space and at least 800X600 resolution.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
For those thinking of trying Linux I recommend trying the new version of Linux Mint based on Debian/Ubuntu. It has all the Plug-ins and Codex installed if you use the version that requires burning to a DVD.

Link To Linux Mint Web Site

For those with an old laptop or desktop laying around, try the LXDE version.

It requires 192 MB of Ram with at least 3 GB of hard drive space and at least 800X600 resolution.

I haven't tried Puppy in a couple of years but read that the new version of Puppy Linux is based on Ubuntu now. It's requirements are 128MB Ram, or much less if you are willing to let it use the hard drive or flash device.

I would still stick with a mainstream release like Mint or Ubuntu as long as your computer will handle it.

Last edited:
I am using Linux Minx 7 (Gloria) on my old desktop now. I like it a lot, it has been great so far.

Mint is great. Have it running on a 5 year old HP AMD 3500+ single-core CPU laptop. the key was installing a cheap SSD into it. WinXP/Mint 8 dual boot. XP is okay, definitely faster with the SSD, Mint shines.

Great for a generic-use system.

In my opinion even mainstream Ubuntu has reached the stage it is no longer a Geek Operating System. Everything is as automated as Windows when it comes to installs.I have constant aggravation of some kind or another with Vista but none with Ubuntu. We wont even talk about the speed advantage of Ubuntu and Firefox over the MS offerings. Dual Boot for the win!

Disclaimer: I have not tried 7 yet.

PS The fact that Im almost dangerous on a PC and have been using Ubuntu for nearly a year should tell you something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back