Limitations on bluetooth OBDII scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of those knockoff ELM327s don't have all the pins active, so can't support tertiary data like TPMS even if the software can.

I have the same obd2 bluetooth reader from Amazon. Haven't needed anything with more capability yet. Not going to spend big bucks on a tool I might not need let and not know how to use.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I've always recommended the Autel Diaglink. Reads all the modules in the car, but only supports one manufacturer out of the box. For more, it'd cost an extra $10 per manufacturer. Only $85 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Diaglink-Systems-Diagnostic-Transmission/dp/B07QS9VH8V

I just ordered the Autel AP200 that promises much the same as you describe for the Diaglink.. Looks like it has most of the same features, just uses a phone/app instead of handheld device. Pretty sure I'm going to have to 'buy' either the Honda or the Acura manufacturer since I don't think they're combined.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
I've always recommended the Autel Diaglink. Reads all the modules in the car, but only supports one manufacturer out of the box. For more, it'd cost an extra $10 per manufacturer. Only $85 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Diaglink-Systems-Diagnostic-Transmission/dp/B07QS9VH8V

I just ordered the Autel AP200 that promises much the same as you describe for the Diaglink.. Looks like it has most of the same features, just uses a phone/app instead of handheld device. Pretty sure I'm going to have to 'buy' either the Honda or the Acura manufacturer since I don't think they're combined.

I have one of the AP200s for about a year already............. real quick and easy to work with imo
No data logging feature though ........ sorely missed :-(
No bidirectional abilities so cannot code eg folding mirror/headlight features
I have mine open on many brands and think I found only a single vehicle it wasn't able to speak to

My go-to tool lately is the AP200 ............... I have also MD802 Ultra, Star, VCDS, OBDLink LX with Torque Pro, DS150 etc etc in the tool bag but this thing travels with me wherever I go.

Make sure you remember to remove it from a customer's vehicle ................ I have called probably 6 customers in order to retrieve the thing from them

In general ELM327 based tools with non-car band specific software on anything will only get you to the emission related info/pid's ................. and only if the vehicle is fully OBD or EOBD complaint and the vehicle's ECU is not locked down preventing it from reporting pid's

Last edited:
Just got my AP200 today. Didn't have much time to play with it before coming in to work. Additional brands are $21.95 for the year it looks like. Almost makes it worth it to just buy a whole other adapter if you've got 2 makes of car that you're going to deal with regularly.

Mainly I want to be able to program keys for my fleet, which it looks like it will handle just fine.

Originally Posted by LvR
Originally Posted by ctechbob

I have one of the AP200s for about a year already............. real quick and easy to work with imo
No data logging feature though ........ sorely missed :-(
No bidirectional abilities so cannot code eg folding mirror/headlight features
I have mine open on many brands and think I found only a single vehicle it wasn't able to speak to

My go-to tool lately is the AP200 ............... I have also MD802 Ultra, Star, VCDS, OBDLink LX with Torque Pro, DS150 etc etc in the tool bag but this thing travels with me wherever I go.

Make sure you remember to remove it from a customer's vehicle ................ I have called probably 6 customers in order to retrieve the thing from them

In general ELM327 based tools with non-car band specific software on anything will only get you to the emission related info/pid's ................. and only if the vehicle is fully OBD or EOBD complaint and the vehicle's ECU is not locked down preventing it from reporting pid's

I bought the HT200/AP200 and am having trouble being able to find the Oil Pressure/Engine Coolant Temperature under the live data on my 2013 Honda Fit and don't know why because on the autel website it says it should be able too?

Never had a FIT here personally so unfortunately cannot speak from personal experience ...................

but:

You will only have access to parameter values on a vehicle if its actually instrumented and monitored by the ECU - chances are oil pressure is not normally instrumented/monitored (not many cars I have seen reports on this) but for sure coolant temp is normally always instrumented and available.

You will have to wait for somebody with a FIT to tell you the details .............. in the end the tool can only report on what is available

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LvR
Never had a FIT here personally so unfortunately cannot speak from personal experience ...................

but:

You will only have access to parameter values on a vehicle if its actually instrumented and monitored by the ECU - chances are oil pressure is not normally instrumented/monitored (not many cars I have seen reports on this) but for sure coolant temp is normally always instrumented and available.

You will have to wait for somebody with a FIT to tell you the details .............. in the end the tool can only report on what is available

I just went out in my Garage today and played with it some more and it does tell the Engine Coolant Temperature but it lists it abbreviated as ECT Sensor rather then the whole name and that I believe was why I didn't see it. I still kind of wished it would show oil pressure but don't know what that could be put under though I am a lot happier now knowing I can at least see Coolant Temp!

ECT is THE governing parameter for both fuel and timing so imo you should be able to find it on probably all modern control systems.

Oil pressure (that I really miss on most modern control systems) is simply a "nice to have" so as I said often its not instrumented - its a plain function of the manufacturer and their attitude toward good engine parameter feedback that more often than not is driven by money since it costs to fit and calibrate an oil pressure sensor (not just a safety switch to indicate too low a pressure)

I can confirm that the AP200 can program Honda/Acura keys. I just removed my non-existent valet key from my Acura and checked to see how many were registered to my Honda.

It also was able to read the drivers aid codes in my kids 2019 Civic. She managed to pop a parked car and knocked the radar sensor off. It read the code, but it cannot reset it or do the alignment procedure. I suspect Honda has that locked down REALLY well in the ECU to prevent shade-trees from fixing that system. Not surprised and didn't really expect a $60 tool to manage that.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I have the same obd2 bluetooth reader from Amazon. Haven't needed anything with more capability yet. Not going to spend big bucks on a tool I might not need let and not know how to use.

That's unAmerican. We buy tools because we might need them in the future or beyond. If we only bought the tools we really needed we would have only pliers and a few screwdrivers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back