Like Father, Like GRANDSON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks:

I just have to share this with you. This is a picture of my GRANDSON and me. I'm on the left, my grandson on the right. My son and his family live in my childhood home, which my parents bought new in 1958. My grandson goes to the same grade school that I attended. Both pictures are of us in the second grade, and they were taken in front of that grade school. Crazy to think he lives in my old childhood home and sleeps in my old bedroom. He walks to school on the same sidewalks I did. And he goes to school and has classes in the same buildings I did. Whenever I pick him up from school his teachers always say, "OMG, he looks more like you than he does his father!" I find this quite amusing!

Couple all this with our appearance.....it's remarkable. Am I a fortunate guy, or what?

Scott

PS My grandson posed for this picture and was trying to make himself look like me - the glaring stare is most definitely not his nature. He's a really well mannered, very polite kid who actually makes eye contact with adults! :)

IMG_3230.jpg

I love the photo. I love the idea of him still walking in your footsteps and sleeping in your room. I am certain there is a bridging love between all three of you.

Very cool. Fill us in on the missing part of the story, you grew up and moved away then your son and family moved back and bought the family home? Or?

Then you have families like mine, scattered to the corners of the US...

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Very cool. Fill us in on the missing part of the story, you grew up and moved away then your son and family moved back and bought the family home? Or?

My parents died, but the house remained in the family trust (we're all just regular working folks, the house is a small tract home, not some big mansion). Anyway, before my parents died my wife and I moved away from the big city to the wine country (and we love it). My son and his family are living the big city treadmill, both of them with very well paying but truly challenging shift work jobs. Both of them bust their a##%* for their jobs. Modern society is fortunate to have people who do this kind of work. I'm being purposely vague to maintain anonymity, but you get the idea.

Scott

I think that's great in every way. Even if the photos werent incredibly similar, the whole rest of the story is great. Glad it can be that way for you and them.

Wow thats neat! When my son was born I saw he looked very similar to my dad, curious to see when he gets older!

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Folks:
Whenever I pick him up from school his teachers always say, "OMG, he looks more like you than he does his father!" I find this quite amusing!
:)

Ouch...those teachers must be older then America
27.gif
grin2.gif

Very cool....

I don't live in my childhood home, but I live about a block from it. Which is interesting as my parents lived but a few blocks from their parents. Funny how that works out as I had no plans to live where I am now.....

Your side of the family must have the stronger genes!

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Folks:
Whenever I pick him up from school his teachers always say, "OMG, he looks more like you than he does his father!" I find this quite amusing!
:)

Ouch...those teachers must be older then America
27.gif
grin2.gif

I graduated high school in 2006. My 10th grade history teacher taught her first class, at that school, in 1950.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

My parents died, but the house remained in the family trust (we're all just regular working folks, the house is a small tract home, not some big mansion). Anyway, before my parents died my wife and I moved away from the big city to the wine country (and we love it). My son and his family are living the big city treadmill, both of them with very well paying but truly challenging shift work jobs. Both of them bust their a##%* for their jobs. Modern society is fortunate to have people who do this kind of work. I'm being purposely vague to maintain anonymity, but you get the idea.

Scott

That's great. My daughter and SIL chased tech jobs from SD to SF to LA for 8 years before they bailed out of Ca 3 years ago because they couldn't afford to buy a house. Many of my new neighbors left Ca as well. Hope your family does well there, someone has to stay!

Can you handle some dark humor? Don't go all "1830's proper" on me, please

Your grandson could very well end up taller than you due to better diet.
Your grandson may never see a tooth cavity due to that coating which didn't exist when we were young. Get that coating!
Your grandson is less likely to smoke cigarettes due, in part, to reduced peer pressure and increased education.
Your grandson will be exposed to fewer diseases due to vaccines and advanced screening techniques.

All that, but while crossing the street he'll be hit by a car because his attention is focused on some electronic device.

I swear, people now-a-days cross in front of moving cars without looking because of the current campaign to stop for pedestrians
I'm all for pedestrians having the right of way (it's always been that way, FYI) but people are getting sloppy in their habits.
Today people cross in the middle of the street (I don't like the term jay-walking but it appears there's a place for it) with their heads down and clearly oblivious to cars on the road.
Make sure your fine grandson uses common sense...teach it to him as necessary.

ps You couldn't find a matching shirt for the photo? Seriously, I love redone pictures.

Originally Posted by Kira
Your grandson could very well end up taller than you due to better diet. (I hope not. I'm 6'6!)
Your grandson may never see a tooth cavity due to that coating which didn't exist when we were young. Get that coating! (Possibly, but I still have all my teeth.)
Your grandson is less likely to smoke cigarettes due, in part, to reduced peer pressure and increased education. (I never smoked.)
Your grandson will be exposed to fewer diseases due to vaccines and advanced screening techniques. (Not sure about that. To save the planet Mother Nature might turn on us humans one day.)

I appreciate all the comments. Thanks guys.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back