Lifetime engine warranty on new & used cars by local dealer

Hondaworld here in Louisville KY also gave me the powertrain lifetime warranty...

Tell you what I will quote it in a way that does not identify the dealership.
They excluded seals and gaskets, valve covers (essentially the CCV) and all of the usual failure items. It would be interesting to see the exclusions.

Basically they're only covering the freak failures, kinda like the valve spring failure in my in-law's Camry.

My son has a 2012 Hyundai Sonata limited 2 ltr turbo. On the highway in New Jersey the engine quit at 107,000 miles. He had it towed to a Hyundai dealership. They gave him a free rental until diagnosis was complete. They pulled the oil pan, and valve covers. They were clean, and free of sludge. Hyundai had some know issues with their engines. They replaced the engine free of charge. I was amazed!

Hyundai-unlike some domestic manufacturers cover their powertrains. Unlike the GM and the Ford fiascos. I had a Son who had Hyundai cover the motor under nearly the same circumstances as your son (It was a Sonata-2.4 non-turbo). They paid for a rental for two weeks-that's how long it took them to get a new motor.

Hyundai-unlike some domestic manufacturers cover their powertrains. Unlike the GM and the Ford fiascos. I had a Son who had Hyundai cover the motor under nearly the same circumstances as your son (It was a Sonata-2.4 non-turbo). They paid for a rental for two weeks-that's how long it took them to get a new motor.

As part of a class action lawsuit Hyundai/Kia settled...

This warranty seems very, very useful to me. It covers timing components, valvetrain, etc. Of course if the cars are jacked up by the cost of a new engine or more... :rolleyes:

As part of a class action lawsuit Hyundai/Kia settled...

That's true...but in my Son's case it was well before the court settlement. A guy over on the Hyundai Forum is having to pay HALF-for a new motor and transmission (3.3-6 speed) for his Santa Fe that has over 100,000 miles on it. Most manufacturers would tell you to pound sand at that point....like Ford did after the second time your 6.0 blew up.

Last edited:
They excluded seals and gaskets, valve covers (essentially the CCV) and all of the usual failure items. It would be interesting to see the exclusions.

Basically they're only covering the freak failures, kinda like the valve spring failure in my in-law's Camry.
It does cover “Seals and gaskets when required in connection with the repair or replacement of a covered part.”

The warranty covers failure of internally lubricated parts so if all those parts when bathed in oil never fail (except for freak occurences), it raises questions about the usefulness of a website that is all about motor oil.

It does cover “Seals and gaskets when required in connection with the repair or replacement of a covered part.”

The warranty covers failure of internally lubricated parts so if all those parts when bathed in oil never fail (except for freak occurences), it raises questions about the usefulness of a website that is all about motor oil.
My wife got that on her 2017 Crosstrek. I read the policy, it was pretty thorough, but it did not cover "gradual wear out and/or gradual loss of compression within reasonable service limits " NO dealer servicing required, just follow the manufacturer OM schedule. I think her new Outback has this too, but I didnt go digging for the contract. That was from a different dealer than the previous.

Back