Lexus: any years/models to avoid?

2007 ES350 had really dim interior lights. It was revised for 08. I don’t remember the years but some of them apparently had a transmission issue where it would randomly slip if driven cold. Mine did it and after some searching it seems like I wasn’t the only one with the problem. But those threads were 10+ years old and the cars were doing it when they were new. Mine was 16 years old at the time and still worked fine other than the occasional slip.

2007 ES350 had really dim interior lights. It was revised for 08. I don’t remember the years but some of them apparently had a transmission issue where it would randomly slip if driven cold. Mine did it and after some searching it seems like I wasn’t the only one with the problem. But those threads were 10+ years old and the cars were doing it when they were new. Mine was 16 years old at the time and still worked fine other than the occasional slip.
One thing that drew me to the 3rd gen LS was a “name all your problems” thread, I found online. One of the top items was “electric mirror switch hard to use (sticks)” which cracked me up, that’s a major issue? There are plenty of small things that acted up in my 7.5 years of ownership as the car nears 19 years old, but they seem not to be powertrain related. Also, the cars are reliable as well when lists are made as to what breaks. As if everything is predictable, good and bad. Imho says something about what took place at Tahara late 90’s mid 00’s….

A plus with Lexus is DIY. A minus is the cost of parts seem to often be higher than BMW if OE.

An annoying 3rd gen LS issue to me was XM radio antenna fails and this 2 lead antenna no longer exists anywhere incl eBay. Why. Cuz free lifetime on this car I think, so don’t want it to not work (don’t think it’s transferable). There is a work around I struggled and found online…always gonna be 1 person who goes into problems in detail on the web and shows others a fix….🤟

Back