Letter-writing campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone of BITOG who is a fan of GC should write a letter asking Castrol to:

1) Admit that the green GC was a unique formulation, as our VOAs have confirmed.

2) Make it readily availble as a premium product above and beyond the Syntec line.

For broad market appeal, I'm sure Castrol could tweak the specs to label it "5W-30" like Mobil did with their 20 weight oil.

Many people, both on and off this board, want the best oil money can buy. I'm sure plenty of people would pay $5.99 for an "upgraded" synthetic oil. C'mon Castrol, look the model pioneered by Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Pennzoil Platnum.

P.S. There are 18 quarts of the green stuff in Linden, NJ. Since this location price matches, they'll be mine when I find a $3.99 offer. But if anybody wants to pay full price...they can be yours for $4.99.

I was thinking about this the other day. If all members of this site sent an email, or at least 50% of the members, maybe they would take it seriously. GC must be selling well though, it's now spread across the internet on multiple auto related websites. Plus, if their was no demand, stores would not be carrying it.

ya, but then they would have to quit making the Group 3 syntec line that they won a lawsuit over to call synthetic. they probably are keeping the GC here to keep the oil nerds among us happy. I still remember the anger on this site at castrol for their group 3 syntec and how many swore they would never buy castrol again..but when GC came..how quick some changed their minds.
tongue.gif

We should wait until we have more information about the gold. I have a suspension that the gold might be superior to the green. We will never know until we have emperical evidence.

"Green" is dead - long live the "Gold" standard! . . . You guys seriously believe BP gives a rat's behind over several dozen oil nerds who go all misty-eyed over green-tinged motor oil with an odor vaguely like candy? GC availability in the U.S. was strictly a transitional product until BP's U.S. Castrol arm could ramp up production of a domestic performance equivalent. It's time to move on.

You don't have to do anything....

If the Mobil 1, EP is successful, the shelves will be flooded with 15,000 mile/1 year oils within the next two years.

Having won my 27 year debate about the benefits of extended drains, I'll then retire to Tahiti and torment my friend "427ZO6" down in Austin, from thousands of miles away.
smile.gif
I'll even pop over to see my mate Doug Hillary once in a while to drink some of his expensive wine and grill some shrimp on the barbie...
wink.gif

It's all good...

Tooslick

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

If the Mobil 1, EP is successful, the shelves will be flooded with 15,000 mile/1 year oils within the next two years.

Having won my 27 year debate about the benefits of extended drains, I'll then retire to Tahiti and torment my friend "427ZO6" down in Austin, from thousands of miles away.
smile.gif
I'll even pop over to see my mate Doug Hillary once in a while to drink some of his expensive wine and grill some shrimp on the barbie...
wink.gif

It's all good...

Tooslick

offtopic.gif
TS,

TAHITI?

The speed limits are probably way low, and the Audi will rust and the cockroaches and centipedes will live along side you...I have lived in a tropical climate...give me cold and hot!

quote:

If the Mobil 1, EP is successful, the shelves will be flooded with 15,000 mile/1 year oils within the next two years...

You know, I never thought about that. I would guess you will probably start seeing others sooner than 2 years.
I wonder if more auto makers will start allowing longer drains and still be under warranty with these oils?

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:

quote:

If the Mobil 1, EP is successful, the shelves will be flooded with 15,000 mile/1 year oils within the next two years...

You know, I never thought about that. I would guess you will probably start seeing others sooner than 2 years.
I wonder if more auto makers will start allowing longer drains and still be under warranty with these oils?

Remember, though, that the EP oils don't have the starburst, etc. that auto companies like so much (at least in the US), which leads to what is, in my mind, the bigger issue with EP- XOM, one of the world's largest oil companies, manufacturers of one of the few lines of widely available true synthetic oils and one of (if not THE) leaders in the lubrication industry has pulled an Amsoil and essentially told the auto makers and their puppet (the API) to take their watered-down specs and shove 'em. For years, the formulation of lubricants has been driven by automakers and not necessarily with maximum protection in mind. With the EP oils, Mobil is simply producing the best product they can without worrying about the latest SM specs and gaining .06 MPG, and using the most well-known and widely used synthetic brands to do it. Is this perhaps the first shot in the war over who directs lubricant standards in this country- the automakers or the lubricant companies? I sure hope so.

quote:

smile.gif
wink.gif

It's all good...

Tooslick

Bingo!!

Manufacturer are beginning to go to longer drain intervals. GM now is recommending 15,000 oil changes for the Corvette or is that 12,000. The 3,000 oil change is history.

You're correct, 15k/1 year is the oil change interval recommended for the Corvette ever since the 2001 model year. Although it also has an oil life monitor, and most (99%) drivers will find it will count down to zero long before you hit 15,000 miles.

I have a new GM Opel Astra 1.8 wagon at work. It's supposed to have service/oil change every 30,000 km (18,750 miles) or minimum every 2. yr. Factory oil fill is Opel Longlife (same as Saab turbo oil).

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I was thinking about this the other day. If all members of this site sent an email, or at least 50% of the members, maybe they would take it seriously. GC must be selling well though, it's now spread across the internet on multiple auto related websites. Plus, if their was no demand, stores would not be carrying it.

If every BITOG used GC in every engine they have Castrol would not even notice the "blip" in sales.
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
GM now is recommending 15,000 oil changes for the Corvette or is that 12,000. The 3,000 oil change is history. [/QB]

GM installs an oil monitoring computation into the engine ECU. The oil monitoring calculation takes a multiplicity of data about the engine and operating conditions and computes when to change the oil. Easy freeway driving might see over 15K miles before the monitor rags on you to change the oil, while 2 days at the track (200 miles) will have the monitor tell you to change the oil.

Its not about the miles, its about the operating conditions!

They probably won't notice an increase in sales. Castrol heavily promotes the Castrol 0w-30 SLX globally which is what the GC/Gold/Green is IMO.

The Old GC was an "old school" ACEA, A3/B4 formulation...these are being phased out in favor of the new ACEA C3-04 formulation, which will now be the top tier product. The idea is that C3-04 is completely backward compatible.

There are probably enough older, high end vehicles in Europe using "A3/B4" fluids that they will be available for years to come. However the NA market for European oils is miniscule (< 2%), so it makes no sense for Castrol to sell two European formulations in the US.

In other works, there is no "Business Case" that can be made to support this action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back