Let's Talk Valvoline!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets discuss Valvoline!

I have used Valvoline oil in the past and liked it. Haven't used them for the past 5 years and I am looking to use them back.

Has their oil formulation changed since after they were sold? It appears to me after looking at various UOAs is that their oils, especially Synpower, have less head room (TBN) than others.

Of course, this also depends on engine. If it were a Honda, I wouldn't be afraid to run it to 7.5-10K miles on Synpower, whether I4 or V6. I don't know if today's other manufacturers engines, or most modern engines, are hard on oil or not.

It appears to me Synpower seems to last 6K max in severe condition in Toyota V6s used in Sienna, RX350,ES350, and maybe in some Nissan V6s. This is based on my observation of UOAs, and I would consider 90% of those UOAs are severe.

So what are your thoughts? Valvoline Synpower price is at 7.50 per quart at Autozone, same as Mobil 1. Even at Walmart, its price is just a tad cheaper than Mobil 1.

I'll leave it to the experts to tell you about SynPower.

FYI AutoZone is running a promotion with Valvoline. With 2 5+ qt jugs purchased, you get $25 back by mail in rebate. When used with two AutoZone oil change specials, it works out to 10.5 qt's of Valvoline SynPower plus two Fram ToughGuard oil filters for $29 plus tax. Not a bad deal IMO.

It only takes a few minutes to enroll then send in the rebate. Each vehicle is eligible for the rebate so one can load up if they desire.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1813019#Post1813019

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
I'll leave it to the experts to tell you about SynPower.

FYI AutoZone is running a promotion with Valvoline. With 2 5+ qt jugs purchased, you get $25 back by mail in rebate. When used with two AutoZone oil change specials, it works out to 10.5 qt's of Valvoline SynPower plus two Fram ToughGuard oil filters for $29 plus tax. Not a bad deal IMO.

It only takes a few minutes to enroll then send in the rebate. Each vehicle is eligible for the rebate so one can load up if they desire.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1813019#Post1813019

Thanks Mr. Tenderloin. The reason I am back with Synpower is because of your findings of the rebates. You've done a great job!
Originally Posted By: Mokanic
I'd take the Synpower over M1 anyday.

Can you explain further?

I love MaxLife. Possibly Full Synthetic MaxLife, idk yet.

My car has been through the Washing Machine, and maxLife is its life.

Priced same as SynBlend, if thats what its called.. but MaxLife Additive package is -better.-

I too choose MaxLife/Valvoline over M1.

synpower is my favorite synthetic that i have used. Simply the smoothest and netted the highest mpg. If you look on the UOA section, i dont re-call one bad uoa with synpower and the results are much lower than averages.

synpower over amsoil and any off the counter synthetic ANYDAY!

good_jolly-mobil shows high lead content in many UOA, mediocre uoa results and it tends to burn off fast in some applications.

i recommended synpower to 5 people and 4 of 5 people noticed smoother engines, 5 if you include me. thats got to tell you something...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn
synpower is my favorite synthetic that i have used. Simply the smoothest and netted the highest mpg. If you look on the UOA section, i dont re-call one bad uoa with synpower and the results are much lower than averages.

synpower over amsoil and any off the counter synthetic ANYDAY!

good_jolly-mobil shows high lead content in many UOA and average uoa results and it tends to burn off fast in some applications.

+1 WELL SAID!!

I like MaxLife.. You like SynBlend, but literally the ONLY thing different is the Add package.

However, Mobil1 is a VERY Good Oil as well i just prefer MaxLife for my vehicle, as it certainly has Wear.

I am thinking that the reason Synpower doesn't have high TBN is because most synthetic crowd tend to change early anyway.

Maybe they used the money saved put into R&D for better oil. Just a thought.

Another vote for SynPower and MaxLife...they are great oils.

I'm surprised that so many people seem to by-pass Valvoline for M1, PP, PU, QS...and the boutique oils (Amsoil, Royal Purple, Schaeffer).

My quess its the marketing of these other oils...where Valvoline just does less advertising/marketing. It proves that good marketing works...but you don't necessarly get a better product.

Valvoline (Ashland) is a great American Company with a great history (1865). It supplied most of the lubricants for WW1 and WW2.

I'd be curious as to what the market share is of Valvoline SynPower versus all the other Synthetics out there.
Valvoline Mercon V / Redline SI-1

Last edited:

Me also good oil / great price

Originally Posted By: good_jolly
I am thinking that the reason Synpower doesn't have high TBN is because most synthetic crowd tend to change early anyway.

Well they love to push the 3k oil change so there is no reason for them to make a high TBN oil. I think they make a great product in most cases but I hate that they are still pushing the outdated 3k oil change.

I've noticed that PP seems to get a ton of love on here when people ask about synthetic oil in general (obviously you get a bunch of M1 or "boutique" oil suggestions as well). It isn't until someone asks about Valvoline directly, that it seems like suddenly people come out of the woodwork to show it some love.

Though just b/c people don't show it the love they show PP, it doesn't mean its a bad oil. I haven't seen anyone bad mouthing it, I think it's just b/c it used to be a couple bucks more then PP so I think PP kept getting all the love b/c it was a better value.

That being said, what I've heard and seen about it seems great. When I've got a couple of M1 oil changes left, then I plan on trying Valvoline and PP to see how my car likes them.

Anyways, the Valvoline line seems like quality oils from everything I've seen

Valvoline Synpower passed the Seq. test for camshaft wear at less then 30 microns , the limit is 90 microns. MOBIL 1 5w30 failed this test at 186 microns of wear. This amount isn't even good enough too pass GF-3 much less GF-4. So MOBIL 1 doesn't even pass an outdated ILSAC spec. These are facts not hearsay.

I like all of the Valvoline oils.....WB, Maxlife and Synpower. If i couldn't find anything on sale....Valvoline would be my choice over anything else.

Originally Posted By: zddp77
Valvoline Synpower passed the Seq. test for camshaft wear at less then 30 microns , the limit is 90 microns. MOBIL 1 5w30 failed this test at 186 microns of wear. This amount isn't even good enough too pass GF-3 much less GF-4. So MOBIL 1 doesn't even pass an outdated ILSAC spec. These are facts not hearsay.

Um...then why does it carry the ILSAC GF-4 certification?

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_5W-30.aspx

My last truck I ran Synpower 10w30 in exclusively. At 85k I had to replace a leaky valve cover gasket, the engine looked spotless inside. Truck had over 140k when I sold it to my friend last year, he has probably put another 15k on it and it still runs great and no noticeable consumption between oil changes.
I think it is one of the better oils on the market that doesn't really get much attention.

i wish they'd offer some 0w-30 and 0w-40. i'd run their 5w-40 but i can only get it at NAPA and i never see it on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back