Leslie R. Rudnick

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Rudnick was one of the key players behind the development of novel base oil blends, such as integrating AN's with PAO and POE. This approach was developed to overcome the issues with poor solubility and seal swell inherent with the use of PAO while also working to reduce the surface competition issues inherent with using POE. AN's were a perfect fit here, improving solubility and elastomer compatibility while reducing ester content requirements, which improved additive effectiveness due to the reduction in surface competition.

This is an excellent presentation on AN's by the STLE:

Large blenders that use PAO like XOM continue to use this approach, while now also integrating various Group III products, which reduces production costs.

Rudnick produced many books, such as this one on base oils:

And this one on additives:

If you pay close attention, you'll see him referenced on various technical documents, such as on this page from ExxonMobil:

Note the references for both of these images:
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 4.02.07 PM.jpg

A list of some of his publications can also be found on Researchgate:

Dr. Rudnick formally retired from the industry, however, like many researchers, scientists, doctors and professors (like our own @MolaKule), had a hard time staying away from his work. He is now the Technical Director for @High Performance Lubricants where he is able to exercise his expertise with a greater degree of freedom and at his own pace.

I would say Les is the "Godfather" of lubricant knowledge and formulating as evidenced by his many papers and the editing of so many textbooks on oils and lubrication.:cool:
Amusingly, I was going to use that term (and had done so in my original draft) but didn't want to be over the top, so I toned it down. Guess I should have left it! LOL

I would say Les is the "Godfather" of lubricant knowledge and formulating as evidenced by his many papers and the editing of so many textbooks on oils and lubrication.:cool:
Lots of patents with his name on them too, like these:
https://patents.justia.com/patent/5338469

A decent list here:

Back