Lemonade Stand

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Went to the store last night and was on a rural road and came to a stop sign and saw two little girls carrying out lemonade and spilling much out of the pitcher- lol. The other one had the small table and cups. I guess they were 7-8 years old.

They were on a side road and i figured they would get no business so on the way back I stopped and made the turn and told the girl I didn't want any but here is a few bucks...

Sadly she came up to my car like a stray dog being called by strangers.
So I reached as far out as I could to hand her the money as she was scared...a sad world we live in. She did smile and was full of joy which was priceless..

I do this often as I made a promise long ago that I would stop as often as I could because as a child and young adult I spent many a day selling produce on the side of the road and some days you got nothing and rarely a tip.

I am glad the little girl was schooled to beware but I did not see the parents anywhere. Not good.

As a 10 year old out in the sticks in the day I walked a 1/4 of a mile to get my lawn tractor from a local garage
That tractor dealer was the only thing around for miles. I was never allowed to walk alone but that day I had lawns to mow and my mom was busy in the kitchen.

Long story short a well known serial killer that day tried to abduct me in his truck off the shoulder of the desolate road. I was a scrappy kid and used to the area. I took off into the cornfields and came up to the back of the garage and they had already called the police as they heard it happen.

Later I discovered who it was.
I think about it today and a wrong decision on my part that day could have ended badly. But as a kid I had that pumped into my head daily. Don't get in a vehicle with a stranger and run for help.

Don't let your kids do stuff like this unless you are with them.

I had a similar experience when I was sixteen and just had my driver's license. I was allowed to drive over to my grandparents house to mow their lawn and on the way back, I saw a hitch hiker. He looked gnarly and unkempt and I passed him by. Saw the next day that someone picked him up and was stabbed to death in their car. They caught him quickly and his picture was in the paper. This would have been around 1964.

I had a similar experience when I was sixteen and just had my driver's license. I was allowed to drive over to my grandparents house to mow their lawn and on the way back, I saw a hitch hiker. He looked gnarly and unkempt and I passed him by. Saw the next day that someone picked him up and was stabbed to death in their car. They caught him quickly and his picture was in the paper. This would have been around 1964.
My brothers school friend picked up
Two females and they killed him for his van. 19 years old.

It's a sad world we live in.

In my early 20s a coworker and I stopped for gas in the way back from a job site where a high school age girl approached us for a ride to the next town. I was reluctant, thinking of all the ways that could go wrong but was worried about what could happen to her if she asked the wrong person. We didn't look all that reputable, ourselves, in my old truck and our dirty work clothes.

We have her a lift and a lecture about how dumb it was for her to be hitchhiking. These days I don't think I would have risked it.

Crazy stuff. Sometimes you just have a bad feeling about people and it ends up saving your life. Back in the late 2000s, I worked grave-shift at a hotel and this young couple came in late one night. Something was off about them and I didn’t like how they were eying my cash drawer so I made sure my Glock made an appearance as I turned around to make their keys. They checked out a couple of hours later which was also odd. Immediately after leaving my hotel, the couple went on to murder a gas station attendant during a robbery. My instincts and the mere presence of my sidearm saved my life that evening because it was clear they were seeking cash and a soft target.

I mean.. If he's got good candy AND a puppy? I'll hop into the windowless van.

In all seriousness, I feel terrible for the people who were effected in anything like the above.

I like to think that in this day and age, the good things in life are getting better, and the bad things are getting worse.
So it evens itself out.

The Norman Rockwell days are over with, enjoy your prints and plates.

I remember the 50's when Mom would send us outside in the summer right after breakfast and tell us she didn't want to see us again until lunch. Bunch of us kids would ride our bikes all over, sometimes four or five miles away, just to ride or to fish. Lots of afternoon ball games among us kids, water fights, etc. When older we would ride to the dump with our 22's to see if we could find some rats to shoot. It is so sad kids today cannot enjoy that type of thing. The world has gone to H in a hand basket as far as I am concerned.

I remember the 50's when Mom would send us outside in the summer right after breakfast and tell us she didn't want to see us again until lunch. Bunch of us kids would ride our bikes all over, sometimes four or five miles away, just to ride or to fish. Lots of afternoon ball games among us kids, water fights, etc. When older we would ride to the dump with our 22's to see if we could find some rats to shoot. It is so sad kids today cannot enjoy that type of thing. The world has gone to H in a hand basket as far as I am concerned.
Yep, just like us in the 70s. That's exactly how we grew up too (y)

We were in the creek and woods all day. If pops was home he made us work all day.

I have a similar story as the OP-

I started staying at home by myself at 9 because my 'father' left, parents divorced and my mother couldn't afford to have me and my 4 year old brother in day care at the same time. I would take the 3.5hp B&G Push mower we had and 1-gallon gas can and push it around the trailer park (not joking) and try to find some yards to mow (for $3). One day I needed some gas and the gas station was about a mile away, on a divided 4-lane highway. I walked to the station, got $1 in gas and was walking back home when a vehicle pulled over in front of me and stopped. I was up by the road, there was a service road on the right that I should have been walking on anyway. I took off running through the ditch with the gas can in hand and ran to the service road where some businesses were.

Probably a benign deal, but I wasn't going to find out.

Back