LED's in the instrument cluster (turn signal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 1981 380SL, the green lenses on the instrument cluster for the turn signal indicator has faded to practically white. To green things up a little, I bought these bulbs in the link below. Is there any danger of blowing circuits, overheating anything or frying the turn signal relay which is very expensive and hard to find for this car. I have not yet installed them, but I do have the bulbs in hand. When searching online I could not find a definitive answer. Hyperflashing is the least of my concern since a 194 bulb draws less than 2 watts. I would assume I do not need a resistor for this application.

The Link Below

They're probably going to blink faster since theres less overall resistance in the circuit, so the relay may burn out quicker or unexpectedly.

The two bulbs on the outside of the car total 54 watts, vs. 2 watts for the dashboard bulb. It will be fine.
Those bulbs will not light if plugged in backwards, be sure to test before putting dash back together.

I put green LEDs behind my green arrows, and then put a Blue LED behing the high beam indicator.

First time i used the high beams at night the blue indicator blinded me. Wayyyy too bright. rather than taking apart the dash again, I cut out 2 small ovals of 35% window tint. With one applied to plastic face infronmt of indicator it was still too bright, two was perfect.

The green LEDs were only slightly brighter than incandescent 194's, but the blue was hideous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back