Lean-To Roof

I have a 12 x 24 storage shed. It's internally framed with 2 x 4 studs, 16" on center.

I want to add an open sides lean to roof, to store my log splitter, and zero turn, run a smoker under it etc.

What is the proper construction for this?
Can I use joist hangers, and posts on the outer corners?
Or should I attach, a ledger board and use joist hangers on that?

I'm not sure If I want to shingle it or use metal roof panels.
Thanks.
IMG_20210404_185244005.jpg
IMG_20210404_185239175.jpg

First, what is the shed supported on? From the pic it looks like an assembly of concrete bricks set up as a post.

I did a similar project on a garage. The shed was 12’x8’. I used it for firewood. I attached a 2x6 ledger to the garage with large lag screws into the studs then ran 2x6 rafters out. The rafters were hung with joist hangers at the ledger board. The rafters also extended out beyond the end wall for a short eave. The opposite side was 4x4 posts on 4’ centers. The posts were set onto concrete blocks with the post saddles already installed. The blocks were set after holes were dug and filled with gravel up to about six inches from the top. The blocks were set on that and after everything was plumb concrete was poured around the blocks to keep them from moving in a earthquake. That was my idea and maybe not the best way but the last time I drove by the place a few weeks ago it is still standing. That’s almost 30 years.

I used metal roofing on top of ½ inch sheathing for the roof.

My garage was set on a slab so I had no worry of it moving unless the real big one hit. That’s why I asked about your supports. If they are solid then you should be fine. The worry would be if the storage shed settles and that would obviously affect the shed you want to build as well.

First, what is the shed supported on? From the pic it looks like an assembly of concrete bricks set up as a post.

I did a similar project on a garage. The shed was 12’x8’. I used it for firewood. I attached a 2x6 ledger to the garage with large lag screws into the studs then ran 2x6 rafters out. The rafters were hung with joist hangers at the ledger board. The rafters also extended out beyond the end wall for a short eave. The opposite side was 4x4 posts on 4’ centers. The posts were set onto concrete blocks with the post saddles already installed. The blocks were set after holes were dug and filled with gravel up to about six inches from the top. The blocks were set on that and after everything was plumb concrete was poured around the blocks to keep them from moving in a earthquake. That was my idea and maybe not the best way but the last time I drove by the place a few weeks ago it is still standing. That’s almost 30 years.

I used metal roofing on top of ½ inch sheathing for the roof.

My garage was set on a slab so I had no worry of it moving unless the real big one hit. That’s why I asked about your supports. If they are solid then you should be fine. The worry would be if the storage shed settles and that would obviously affect the shed you want to build as well.
Thanks, its a prefabed shed on block. The block is on solid ground. Shoveled out the loose dirt down to clay soil when it was installed about 8 years ago.

I think i will do the ledger board. There is not a lot of overhang, so i will have to figure out how not to have a gap between the 2 roofs.

Thanks, its a prefabed shed on block. The block is on solid ground. Shoveled out the loose dirt down to clay soil when it was installed about 8 years ago.

I think i will do the ledger board. There is not a lot of overhang, so i will have to figure out how not to have a gap between the 2 roofs.

I didn’t had much on mine. Still have to watch for wasps and such building nests in there. That’s why I went with metal. Both the sheathing and metal were unattached under the eave due to lack of space but it didn’t go anywhere. I just slid them right underneath and started nailing the sheathing. The metal roof was screwed. Screws would be better now for both.

Back