Leaking orange can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Chris142

It was not a loose filter or double gasket. I believe this is a filter from a Walmart oil change.

There we go. "Hey this filter was returned but can't go back to the manufacturer. Just use it when you can." Said no WM manager ever. (I have a good friend that was a store manager for them.)

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
I've seen a couple of filters leak there in the 20 plus years I've been a mechanic. We had a run of Napa HD truck filters for 5.9 Cummins leaking at the crimp. They determined it was a bad batch and pulled them replacing them with a different lot number. Things happen.

This is a very good and reasonable post here ^^^^^

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

Shame Jay's not around anymore, you could have gotten some free new ones! Guessing it didn't leak enough to damage the customer's engine?

Fram cust serv is top notch. Just send the pics/description to their email address and the rep responds quickly. I had a TG cartridge that was missing a gasket and cust serv sent me a new Ultra! Much more than the replacement gasket I requested.

Fram Ocan ? for me it's TG or XG … if I'm gonna go that cheap … AC Delco …

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
If this makes anyone worried about the orange can, bear in mind that the can is the same on the toughguard and ultra. The gasket is the same on the toughguard.

And there's been quite a few WIX filters reported here over the years with a leaking base crimp. Happens on all filter brands once and a very few while.

How tight was the filter on there? Perhaps it was installed with a tool and was damaged in the process?

When Jay was here, I thought he mentioned that these were 100% pressure tested.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by mpgo4th
I've seen a couple of filters leak there in the 20 plus years I've been a mechanic. We had a run of Napa HD truck filters for 5.9 Cummins leaking at the crimp. They determined it was a bad batch and pulled them replacing them with a different lot number. Things happen.

This is a very good and reasonable post here ^^^^^

Seen it twice in 40 years on a pur-0-lator - so I called them Pur-o -leakers from thence onward.

Seen it a couple times on a Wix. I just chalked it up to typical expected quality from a "two- dollar cost to produce" commodity item

or synthetic oil that like to "escape" from the engine. That's back when Mobil 1 5w30 was real synthetic and would climb out of the bottle and make a puddle on the shelf if the cap wasn't tight. Not Kidding!

Never had any issue with Champ labs traditional core filters, But I haven't installed as many of then as Pur0's

^^^
lol.gif

Thought I'd add to this. I just crawled under my Accord to change the oil. Driveway covered in somewhat fresh oil spots. Oil filter (Fram TG 7317,first Fram I'v ever used on this car) covered in oil, appearing to originate from that very same seam that Chris observed. I got a flashlight and inspected everything and there's no other source for any oil leakage. Everywhere else on the engine is bone dry. Filter was not double gasket applied,was on good and tight,and no can damage. I have right at 3000 miles on this oil change.

Not wanting to take any chances, the TG I just bought is going back,and being replaced by a Honda oem.

Originally Posted by kschachn
When you take the filter off can you check the seam and post pictures please?

Absolutely! Unfortunately I already cleaned up the bottom of the car and the oil filter has oil all over it from being removed, but i'll post some pics.

Oil spots on the driveway.
[Linked Image]

Oil filter seam where the oil appeared to be in highest concentration.
[Linked Image]

Oil filter mounting tree.
[Linked Image]

The oil filter was covered in oil,which appeared to originate from the seam on the can. The gasket area was not oil saturated. Everything from the bottom of the engine up was completely dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back