Leaking again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go again. I've had to deal with various power steering leaks on my CR-V, and it's got another now!

Last year I replaced the pressure line because it began to leak all over the top and side of my engine, and shortly after that the return line got replaced because a pinhole rusted through on it and it began to spray everywhere. Then I got into an accident about a year ago and had to replace the steering rack because it got cracked on the top and fluid was seeping out of it.

All was fine until today I go to back my car onto the driveway to move some toolboxes into my garage I had on the back seats and in the 5 minutes my car idled on the driveway it left quite a sizable puddle. Checked the p/s reservoir and it was basically empty. Filled it up and drove it to work (~10 min commute at the longest) and I checked the reservoir when I pulled into my spot, and it already needed refilled again.

I don't see any leaking around the reservoir or pump itself, but I did see some wet spots on the firewall and on the steering rack assembly.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you know you have to use Honda-specific PS fluid? I've seen too many Honda systems leak from o-rings and gaskets shortly after expensive repairs due to using the wrong stuf.

Instead of complaining, go inspect your car and figure out where it is leaking from. We can't help you with the diag this time; you'll have to figure that part out yourself. If the system is leaking as much as you described then the leak should be fairly obvious.

There are only so many things that can be wrong here so start checking off the list.
1.ps lines
2.pump
3.rack and pinion
4.fluid reservoir
Good luck and God bless.

Unless you have a lift & an alignment rack, it's better to farm out this one. I asked my local Indy mechanic about replacing racks recently (the one in my MGM could be better), he stated that he sometimes has to replace one several times (aligning every time) before he gets a good reman!

Originally Posted by dogememe
I'm assuming you know you have to use Honda-specific PS fluid? I've seen too many Honda systems leak from o-rings and gaskets shortly after expensive repairs due to using the wrong stuf.

He be correct.

Yes I'm using the overpriced Honda formula fluid because they have to be special about everything.

Parked the car on a piece of cardboard and ran it and it looks like it's dripping from where the return line connects at. Hopefully I just didn't connect it tight enough and it's nothing more.

If I have to replace the rack again I'm selling the car. It was a $1000 job last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back