LCP... Back to Ruger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably didn't allow enough of a break in period, but got tired of having FTF's from every magazine. Had to bump the slide sometimes a couple of times every mag since day one. Ruger sent me a prepaid shipping label and it will be delivered today. Ruger CS said I should have it back in a week to 10 days. I live about 30 minutes South of their Mayodan, NC facility where the pistol was shipped to so hopefully their CS is as good as I have been hearing. Judging from youtube videos, this is a fairly common problem with the first gen LCP. Less than 100 rounds through it in 6 months with 3 different types/brands of ammo but all my other pistols worked right out of the box and I feel this little Ruger should too. Any other LCP owners have this problem?

I bought a Ruger P95 on close out and after 40 rounds it started to not eject. I relubed it and tried factory ammo and still the problem was there. I called Ruger and they sent me a Fed Ex mailing tag , air freight to Ruger in Arizona. The pistols was returned back with in about week and I could see it was worked on yet at the range the same thing happened again . I called Ruger and they sent another Fed Ex mailer . This time I worte a letter and put the letter on top of the pistol. The Ruger tech called me and said he was relpacing the complete slide Assemby. So far I have put at least 8,000 rounds through the pistol with out a hitch. Stuff happens and Ruger will fix it. I have several Ruger products and they have done in my opinion beyond what I would expect in caring for their customers.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Was this with hollow points or ball ammo or both?

Just ball ammo. I wanted to be sure it would run the plinking ammo before I bought the more expensive SD ammo.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I bought a Ruger P95 on close out and after 40 rounds it started to not eject. I relubed it and tried factory ammo and still the problem was there. I called Ruger and they sent me a Fed Ex mailing tag , air freight to Ruger in Arizona. The pistols was returned back with in about week and I could see it was worked on yet at the range the same thing happened again . I called Ruger and they sent another Fed Ex mailer . This time I worte a letter and put the letter on top of the pistol. The Ruger tech called me and said he was relpacing the complete slide Assemby. So far I have put at least 8,000 rounds through the pistol with out a hitch. Stuff happens and Ruger will fix it. I have several Ruger products and they have done in my opinion beyond what I would expect in caring for their customers.
I enclosed a letter as well and I'm confident Ruger will step up and fix it.

Sounds like a good company.
I run mostly Glock and never have any performance issues, so I can't speak for their customer service.

I like the LC9s Pro but not enough to buy one yet. What do you like about the LCP over the LC9 ?

LCP is a very reliable pistol. I don't carry it any more bc I use the G42.

You will ultimately be happy with it. My wife painted the front sight bright white with fingernail polish. Worked really well.

I have Bersa Thunder. 380.It can't get through a magazine without jamming. FTF for the most part but it throws a stovepipe or the round jams vertically. Bersa aka Eagle is not quite what Ruger is in terms of CS. Yeah, it'll be covered under warranty but I pay the shipping to one of their authorized gunsmiths. Internet info guides you towards feed ramp polishing. The Bersa guru gunsmith says no...99% it's ejector related. I'm sending it to him this weekend. I was about to give up and trade it for a Glock 42 but I'll give it a try.

Originally Posted By: Toros
I was about to give up and trade it for a Glock 42 but I'll give it a try.

If you get the 42, be prepared for some stovepipes for the first 150 rounds or so. Not always but itj does occur. Most don't have the problem. Mine had the problem but after that its dead reliable.

Ruger got my LCP back to me Monday. They replaced the slide and test fired 24 rounds with no failures. So far 30 rounds through it with no failures. Before sending it back I couldn’t put a full mag through it without at least 1 sometimes more failures in one magazine. Feeds nicely now and I’m impressed with Rugers customer service. Plus they sent me a free nifty silicone cleaning cloth.

Glad it worked out for you.

When you look at most new guns, the feed ramp will have some machining burs. Very small, but there. They SHOULD come highly polished from the factory, but most companies just send them out the door.

Get some Flitz metal polish, and a Q-Tip. Polish the barrel feed ramp for 20 minutes while watching tv, and the burs will be gone. Your aim is to polish it nicely, not remove a ton of metal.

71q1uTD3wtL._SY355_.jpg

As to .380, there are so many flavors, some will be unreliable, some will work fine. I like to buy about 6-8 different brands to try. I absolutely stay away from steel case or aluminum in .380. I prefer the made in Europe brands as they are a bit hotter (Fiochi - made in Italy, S&B-Czech Republic, Geco-Germany, etc)

Also make sure the LCP is lubed. They choke when dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back