Lathe spindle bearings

I need advice on what grease to use in my lathe spindle tapered roller bearings...2500 RPM max, not sealed, no access for re-greasing without headstock disassembly, etc. There is so many conflicting opinions on the subject, I am starting to think it doesn't matter.

The most consistent recommendation is Lubriplate 630-AA, but there has to be an equivalent (or close) that isn't so expensive.

If someone can recommend a NLGI-1 grease for the purpose that doesn't require a second mortgage, I Would appreciate it. Maybe Mobilux EP1?

Thanks

What grease does the manufacturer recommend? At least then we know what we are looking for. These guys often sell smaller tubes of the specialty greases so you can get just what you need.

The only source I have for grease recommendations are from the bearing manufacturer. In this case, that's FAG Bearings. The best I can tell, what they recommend is Arcanol Temp 110.

Lithium based, NLGI 1, temperatures up to @ 250 degrees F.

The only source I have for grease recommendations are from the bearing manufacturer. In this case, that's FAG Bearings. The best I can tell, what they recommend is Arcanol Temp 110.

Lithium based, NLGI 1, temperatures up to @ 250 degrees F.

So that grease is hard to find and expensive at 120 bucks a tube. The lubriplate though Looks to be a good substitute. Same base, almost the same oil viscosity 140 vs 150 cst. Looks like it's a nlgi 1 instead of 2 but should be fine for this use, and a similar temp range. At 15-20 bucks a tube it's a good price too.

Seems to be a lot of people using it in the spindles as well so should work well.

Yeah. I have to say that the lubrication industry seems to be intent on driving me insane trying to find actual justification for what some charge for certain products. Kluber 15, for example. Its crazy.

The 630aa grease just seems to be a slightly white lithium grease, maybe with some zinc added...and a label.

I found a 16 ounce tub of it for $25, so I'll just go with that. Being a cynical cheapskate on a fixed income can be maddening at times. 😁 I'll just never be convinced that there's a big difference, but as my wife often reminds me, I could be wrong.

Back