Last 6 filters cut open pic

Here are the last 6 filters from our 07 GMC Yukon Denali w/6.2L all aluminum L92. All are Fram Ultras except the 1st one. 3 filters have carbon in the bottom of the pleats and 3 don't, in no particular order?

In Dec of 2019 a plastic heater hose fitting broke. Engine got hot for a minute or two. I didn't change the oil and filter for another 4k miles. I should have changed it immediately.

Interesting is the color of the 2 filter pleats after it got hot.
DSCN0543.JPG

Here are the last 6 filters from our 07 GMC Yukon Denali w/6.2L all aluminum L92. All are Fram Ultras except the 1st one. 3 filters have carbon in the bottom of the pleats and 3 don't, in no particular order?

In Dec of 2019 a plastic heater hose fitting broke. Engine got hot for a minute or two. I didn't change the oil and filter for another 4k miles. I should have changed it immediately.

Interesting is the color of the 2 filter pleats after it got hot.
View attachment 118991
Very informative and great post sir. Thank You for the info. Nice pictures and details.

🇺🇸🇨🇦🍻👍

Could be the filers with the "carbon" in the bottom of the pleats were mainly ran over the colder months. Any way to correlate that from your logs?

I’m curious… why would you feel you needed to change the oil immediately? ESP is a good oil?
I gravity drain all my filter elements from all my vehicles. The oil wouldn't gravity drain from that 3 of 2020 element, the one after the overheat event. Oil was dark and sticky. Also, I think the post overheat UOA results speak for themself. I had to rinse it with a little mineral spirits. I didn't bother on the next one, see how dark it is.

This engine had a rough life until I came into the picture. I've increased sump capacity from 6 qts to 11 qts, added an oil cooler, and a remote engine oil EaBP90 bypass filter., rear main seal, oil pickup tube o-ring, and I don't hotrod it.

Back