Labor prices at outdoor equip./ small engine shops

If i make $15 an hour then no way im gonna pay someone $80 an hour to fix something. Id just learn how to do it myself watching YouTube vids.

I had new tires put on my Honda riding lawn mower at a place in Stockbridge, GA. I made the mistake of not asking how much their installation costs were. I knew the tire prices about because I could buy them from Northern Tool down the street. I wanted them to install them because part of me wanted to help a local business and the other part of me was concerned I'd goof it up. I come back and find out my bill was almost $500. For lawn mower tires and installation. This Honda riding mower was made in 1996! On top of that, they wanted $12 per tire for disposal. I've never been charged more than $10 for ALL tires at a car tire place, but they feel $12 per tire is necessary. I told them I'll take my old tires with me. Those tires were properly disposed of 3 minutes later at the tire shop across the street for $5 total.
That is way, way beyond pricey.

A basic tune-up for a riding tractor starts at $175, and a walk behind mower is $125.
Makes me wonder how fancy and expensive those walk behinds are. Nearly every low-end walk behind mower I've used never had engine problems despite zero engine maintenance. They only got replaced due to the handles or wheels breaking, the chassis rusting, etc. I suppose they may have gotten a new spark plug once every many years.

I helped go through someone's belongings when they died. I was quite surprised to find receipts for a yearly tune up on their walk behind. They paid a shop to pick it up, bring it to their shop, replace the spark plug and air filter, then bring it back. This was done every year on a mediocre lawn mower used on a small 30 x 75 or so feet lawn.

If i make $15 an hour then no way im gonna pay someone $80 an hour to fix something. Id just learn how to do it myself watching YouTube vids.
It doesn't really have anything to do with what you make vs. them, it has to do with demand for the skill, as well as the cost associated with performing the work. Good on you for learning how to do it yourself, many people can't be bothered these days but then complain about labor prices.

Makes me wonder how fancy and expensive those walk behinds are. Nearly every low-end walk behind mower I've used never had engine problems despite zero engine maintenance. They only got replaced due to the handles or wheels breaking, the chassis rusting, etc. I suppose they may have gotten a new spark plug once every many years.

I helped go through someone's belongings when they died. I was quite surprised to find receipts for a yearly tune up on their walk behind. They paid a shop to pick it up, bring it to their shop, replace the spark plug and air filter, then bring it back. This was done every year on a mediocre lawn mower used on a small 30 x 75 or so feet lawn.
You'd be surprised what people will spend. I have a neighbor who before I started maintaining her John Deere rider would pay the Deere dealer to come pick it up, do the maintenance, and bring it back. They did a sub-par job (it was returned once with very low oil) and one of the bills was close to $800. The power equipment dealer I mentioned before lists their prices as estimates for basic maintenance on a specific group of equipment on their website. $125 for a walk-behind mower includes everything from the WalMart special basic push mowers to Honda walk-behinds according to their site info. Zero turns and commercial equipment is even more expensive, but likely a major part of their business. They are a Scag, Ariens, and Exmark dealer.

1617640772839.jpg

Taryl Fixes All on Youtube has been a terrific source of repair information for me. I spent a LOT on my college degrees and worked immensely hard getting them however, I believe I've learned more useful information from Youtube than in universities.

Called a tree company to have a couple 80 foot ash trees taken down and he quoted $300.00 per hour. This is double what was two years ago. Since they are on the property line we are not going to drop them. Don`t mind the price as it`s dangerous work.

Back