Labor prices at outdoor equip./ small engine shops

Went to a large well established ( Augusta GA area) outdoor equip./small engine shop to get a part today. Have not been in there in several years. They had a sign stating labor charge is $85/hr.
I'm thinking this is really not too bad nowadays. What are labor prices in your area at a business like this?

I'm not downing anyone. As a semi mechanic and a former mechanic at a Honda dealer, I've always felt someone who fixes vehicles should make more than the guy/gal on the assembly line.

My friend has a small Toro dealership, and I believe his shop rate is $75. Cost of living is lower around here, though.

I'm not downing anyone. As a semi mechanic and a former mechanic at a Honda dealer, I've always felt someone who fixes vehicles should make more than the guy/gal on the assembly line.
Wont happen.
Decades of strong unions pushed production line wages to current levels. Mechanics in dealerships or shops work in a mostly non-union environment.
Given that, I wonder how many person hours it took to manufacture a vehicle 20 years ago, 10 years ago and now. Must be less.
But shop hours to replace a 2011 Ram Hemi exhaust manifold don't change.

There is a power equipment dealership a few miles away from me. Their labor rate is $100/hour. A basic tune-up for a riding tractor starts at $175, and a walk behind mower is $125. Snowblower is somewhere in between if I remember right, and I've had customers who told me they tried going to that place and there was a 3 month wait.

My experience in Arkansas:
Mercedes dealership - about $200/hour
Good independent auto mechanic - $80-$95/hour
OPE 'mechanic' - about $45-$65/hour
Dealership Brand name OPE 'mechanic' - $75-$95/hour

I had new tires put on my Honda riding lawn mower at a place in Stockbridge, GA. I made the mistake of not asking how much their installation costs were. I knew the tire prices about because I could buy them from Northern Tool down the street. I wanted them to install them because part of me wanted to help a local business and the other part of me was concerned I'd goof it up. I come back and find out my bill was almost $500. For lawn mower tires and installation. This Honda riding mower was made in 1996! On top of that, they wanted $12 per tire for disposal. I've never been charged more than $10 for ALL tires at a car tire place, but they feel $12 per tire is necessary. I told them I'll take my old tires with me. Those tires were properly disposed of 3 minutes later at the tire shop across the street for $5 total.

There is a power equipment dealership a few miles away from me. Their labor rate is $100/hour. A basic tune-up for a riding tractor starts at $175, and a walk behind mower is $125. Snowblower is somewhere in between if I remember right, and I've had customers who told me they tried going to that place and there was a 3 month wait.
I could see why some might skip out on “tune-ups” for several years, then when a problem hits, just buy new. Cheaper than a yearly tuneup.

I do not look forward to when I can’t mess with my own equipment. I get it, not everyone can, and thus these places exist. And they have overhead costs so this is what it costs. Just the way it is.

I had new tires put on my Honda riding lawn mower at a place in Stockbridge, GA. I made the mistake of not asking how much their installation costs were. I knew the tire prices about because I could buy them from Northern Tool down the street. I wanted them to install them because part of me wanted to help a local business and the other part of me was concerned I'd goof it up. I come back and find out my bill was almost $500. For lawn mower tires and installation. This Honda riding mower was made in 1996! On top of that, they wanted $12 per tire for disposal. I've never been charged more than $10 for ALL tires at a car tire place, but they feel $12 per tire is necessary. I told them I'll take my old tires with me. Those tires were properly disposed of 3 minutes later at the tire shop across the street for $5 total.
$500 to install 4 tires? That's crazy. How much did the actual tires cost?

Wont happen.
Decades of strong unions pushed production line wages to current levels. Mechanics in dealerships or shops work in a mostly non-union environment.
Given that, I wonder how many person hours it took to manufacture a vehicle 20 years ago, 10 years ago and now. Must be less.
But shop hours to replace a 2011 Ram Hemi exhaust manifold don't change.
Replace your own exhaust manifold.

Back