KYB Strut mounts

I bought aftermarket front KYB strut mounts for the Lexus (note, these are coilovers, they do not have bearings).
I was thinking of OEM but the dealer told me they sell almost none, and they are expensive!. He said they reuse unless the boots are torn (mine aren't torn, but I don't want to be doing this again). Car has 100K. He said they sell a ton of shocks for the car.

The original ones have a deep rubber imprint, so hopefully the rubber will compress in the new ones, and level the car. New OEMs look very similar to mine (but not identical).

The new bumpstops are also almost 3/4 inch longer - and solid foam. The toyota ones are soft at the end. I can only imagine hitting a bump! OEM is Still fine. I am going to reuse the OEM.

I'm wondering though if I should just reuse the old mounts. They are a bit rusty and worn, but I don't know.

The shock protector has a skirt that attaches to the rubber seat.

Buy new mounts, especially if you have to deal with rust!

Somebody on here will post that picture of the rusted-thru strut mount

Originally Posted by ford46guy
I bought aftermarket front KYB strut mounts for the Lexus (note, these are coilovers, they do not have bearings).
I was thinking of OEM but the dealer told me they sell almost none, and they are expensive!. He said they reuse unless the boots are torn (mine aren't torn, but I don't want to be doing this again). Car has 100K. He said they sell a ton of shocks for the car.

The original ones have a deep rubber imprint, so hopefully the rubber will compress in the new ones, and level the car. New OEMs look very similar to mine (but not identical).

The new bumpstops are also almost 3/4 inch longer - and solid foam. The toyota ones are soft at the end. I can only imagine hitting a bump! OEM is Still fine. I am going to reuse the OEM.

I'm wondering though if I should just reuse the old mounts. They are a bit rusty and worn, but I don't know.

When I was replacing the strut shocks on my DD, I decided instead to install quick struts from KYB, as they were the original equipment. A BITOG post tipped me off to KYB strut mount issues. The KYB rep said the replacements are identical to OE and made on the same production line for OE. However, further research indicated KYB strut mount problems. Pestering KYB again confirmed mount problems, but not for my model. I bought Honda quick struts from an on-line dealer to avoid problems. I would call KYB and ask tech support about known issues with the mounts for your car. I found them to be helpful and knowledgeable.

I looked at the old mounts and they were a bit too rusty for comfort. There isn't really much to break on these things, and the quality looked good. If it were a bearing like an ES or my Continental that is another story.

Lexus is so proud that their mounts cost a bit less than the strut retail!

I did reuse the old bumpers, they looked new.
The new Bumpers were longer and had BASF made in the USA. I did a bit of research and they are OEM for some makes.
They are supposed to be progressive, but I think it has to be designed into the suspension.

Originally Posted by willbur
Originally Posted by ford46guy

When I was replacing the strut shocks on my DD, I decided instead to install quick struts from KYB, as they were the original equipment. A BITOG post tipped me off to KYB strut mount issues. The KYB rep said the replacements are identical to OE and made on the same production line for OE. However, further research indicated KYB strut mount problems. Pestering KYB again confirmed mount problems, but not for my model. I bought Honda quick struts from an on-line dealer to avoid problems. I would call KYB and ask tech support about known issues with the mounts for your car. I found them to be helpful and knowledgeable.

Even though the struts are together but not installed I may call Monday. Like I posted above the originals are a bit rusty to install.

A Honda has a strut bearing, these are very simple units. its a piece of steel with a rubber skirt attached to a rubber donut where the strut sits. These are like rear strut mounts on a FWD car.

It is not OEM (judging by small details) but seems decent quality.

[Linked Image from rockauto.com]

Last edited:
Back