Kuhmo Solus kr21?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a pretty decent tire. Most of them balance out like most of the other name brand tires with 1-1.5 oz of weight max per side.

I don't have the KR21's, but we've put a few on the production vehicles and seem to do quite fine. I don't have the luxury of road testing them for snow and rain and cornering however, cause they're on vehicles to be sold.

I do own some Kumho Road Venture A/T's on the Jeep. They ride much better than my old tires, and are much better in the traction department for snow and mud. Granted, the old tires were Uniroyal tires, which no one in the shop likes to get cause they balance out bad and even Triangle branded tires balance better.

If you can get the KR's for a great price, they wouldn't be a bad pick-up. again, I've only had them on our production vehicles. Can't say much more than the 10 mile required test drive that they ride just fine.

I've got a set of Kumho's on my truck and have the kr21s on my LH. they're fine. better than some tires. worse than the best. I'd buy another set.

Another possible tire....that I have on my Ford Focus...is the General Altamax HP.

IMO.....Its a great tire ...at a very good price (@ TireRack).

Kuhmo Solus KR21 is a little old, the newer tires Hankook Opimo H727, Pirelli P4 4-seasons and Yokohama AVID Touring-S are better and it can be cheaper too. I have Hankook Opimo H727 on a car and Yoko AVID Touring-S on another and I like both for good ride and low noise with decent handling.

In our circle of friends/family we have several sets of Solus KR-21's, Hankook H727's General Altimax RT/HP and Pirelli P4's Cooper CS4's along with AVID TRZ's and HydroEdge and we love all of them! The reviews in our circle are all possitive. These are some of the higher/highest rated tires and I can see why.

Although the Kumho Solus KR-21's have been around for some time now, they are still a high rated tire in both their test scoring and customer reviews. The worst thing that I have read about the KR-21's is that they don't last anywhere near their 80,000 mile warranty. Seem like 40K-50K is the norm(some owners do better). Their priced right too!

Choose a tire that best fits your criteria for driving style/climate/terrain/budget etc. Read the testing and reviews.

^If I could find a GOOD tire spec'd for 175/70R13 or 165/70R13; I'd buy US.

The KR21 seem to be the best offering for my little Civic and so far are what I'm leaning towards getting(the best deal as well) for my next complete set of tires(1-2 years from now so we'll see).

Anyone know WHY I can't find 165/70R13 anywhere with a GOOD tire, not an okay one? I'm stuck with 175/70R13 right now and I'd rather have the stock size. Being somewhat larger isn't a huge problem, but it makes steering somewhat 'tougher' with rack/pinion.

I'm about to get my tie rods/boots replaced as well and will need an alignment. If I get one with the current tires I'd probably want to stick with 175 to avoid having to get an alignment performed again if I needed tires within a year.

For the KR21, the reviews are good enough. If The Pirelli P4's were available I'd buy them instead, but they aren't for the size I need. I did buy 4 for my previous vehicle that is now sold.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I'm about to get my tie rods/boots replaced as well and will need an alignment. If I get one with the current tires I'd probably want to stick with 175 to avoid having to get an alignment performed again if I needed tires within a year.

For the KR21, the reviews are good enough. If The Pirelli P4's were available I'd buy them instead, but they aren't for the size I need. I did buy 4 for my previous vehicle that is now sold.

13" tires (Wheel size) are slowly being dropped from manufacture. They used to be cheap cheap cheap, but are climbing in price. The reason for all of this is because 13" wheels are becoming a real rarity these days, and not many produce a car with 13's on it. cars of the early 90's are now 20 years old, when smaller wheels were prominent, and there's not much of a market for these size of tires anymore.

It'll become harder and harder to find tires in the right size. I knew someone with a 95' Civic VX who is in Colorado. Lucky he lives there because those things have no A/C, no power steering, nothing really, but he doesn't need it cause it never gets hot or humid enough to need A/C. Those VX models can churn out the MPG's too. Rated somewhere in the 50's highway I think, which is really good. 1 belt that might not even fit around most people's waists, and it's for the alternator.

Good luck finding tires for the Civic. You might wanna find some used 14 or 15" rims to broaden your tire sizes. 175 probably won't feel much heavier in the steering, even with the lack of power steering. it's a very small difference in size, probably less than 2%. I don't know if they make it, but you might want to look for a 175/65/R13 if there's any more tires in that size. It'll be closer to size of original. at 60mph, the 175/70's would be 1.5mph off, whereas the 175/65's would be .4mph off.

That is if they even make that size. Best bet would be finding some larger wheels and getting something really close to stock diameter. Steel wheels would be cheaper, but I'm sure you can find some super cheap alloys in 14's or 15's. Might save you some headaches and money in the future. you'd also have a full sized spare with the 13" rims too!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
38,000 miles on my Intrepid and they were on the wear bars, all 4.

I have heard of reviews/complaints like this.

I our circle, we have KR-21's on minivans, suv's and sedans. Thus far I haven't heard any complaints of the tires waring fast although these owners are aware of these complaints too!

So far, "just a nice tire for year around driving" is the comments that are typicle in our group.

Nice choice of tire for balancing reasons alone. Most haven't had to take the tires back to the installer for rebalancing and they track nice and straight on the highway w/o shimmy/vibes. This along with good hydroplaining resistance, decent snow traction and can take a corner or on/off ramp quite well. All at a really good price!

Not a sporty tire but, just a nice tire. And this is what most folks in our circle are looking for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
38,000 miles on my Intrepid and they were on the wear bars, all 4.

I have heard of reviews/complaints like this.

I our circle, we have KR-21's on minivans, suv's and sedans. Thus far I haven't heard any complaints of the tires waring fast although these owners are aware of these complaints too!

So far, "just a nice tire for year around driving" is the comments that are typicle in our group.

Nice choice of tire for balancing reasons alone. Most haven't had to take the tires back to the installer for rebalancing and they track nice and straight on the highway w/o shimmy/vibes. This along with good hydroplaining resistance, decent snow traction and can take a corner or on/off ramp quite well. All at a really good price!

Not a sporty tire but, just a nice tire. And this is what most folks in our circle are looking for.

Discount Tire was very familiar with the problem when I replaced them under warranty. They were not surprised at all.

my grandma has 29000miles on her kr21's they had 7/32's tread on them when I measured at her last oil change.

good all around tire.. not the best.. certainly not the worst.

Last edited:
I beleive that Kumho is also aware of this short comming in their otherwise very good tire and will in turn create a new version maybe changing the model designation(Solus KR-twenty-something). Hopefully leaving the good qualities and improving on the "not so good" ones.

A couple of years ago, I had heard from guys in the tire sales business that Kumho was discontinuing/replacing the KR-21's but, as you can see, these are a popular tire and sales must be reflecting this as Kumho has yet to replace the KR-21's.

I do see the KR-22 Eco on the market! Could these have been the KR-21's replacement? And Kumho decided not to replace the Solus KR-21's just yet?

I don't know, but I did drive another car with Kumho KR21's on it, a Cadillac SRX, and it rode just fine. Not the best tire though, but certainly not the worst. Don't ride as good as an expensive Michelin set, but no where near as bad as Nexen or LingLong tires. Wow those are bad tires.

Had them on my 2003 Escape made it only 30,000 miles the Michelins on there now have 50,000 and still have some life left in them.

This tires are GARBAGE! Had good luck with KH16's on my '97 altima, so I bought the KR21s for my wifes altima, and they simply stunk! Awful wet/snow traction. One rear tire developed a bubble on the side wall, like an impact break, but wife swears never hit anything. Fronts vibrated badly (with only 18k miles on them) and I did rotate them every 7k mi, had to be rebalanced twice, and no, it wasn't a rim problem. 80k mi rating is a joke, as mine were 75% worn after 18k mi (aligment within spec). My cousin had them also on his '04 cavalier, and one tire exploded for no obvious reason at only 50mph, with only 8k miles on it. No more Kumhos for me. Yoko TRZs replaced these and I couldn't be happier. Even my wife can notice the difference in ride/traction.

Last edited:
^Interesting experience. Just had some car work done, currently have two different pairs of tires(older from previous set on the rear now) with 'temps' now moved to the front; those being the lame Primewell tires from the Tires Plus chain. It's like night and day. The car vibrates and shakes from the front end now, like it's unbalanced on one of the tires(need to inspect the wheel for problems just to be sure), but really disappointed with how lame it rides for a front tire. Like driving on a trampoline between 25-45 or so.

we have kr21's on both of our cars, a 98 jetta and a 2004 jetta, strangely the tires on the 2004 look new after 30, 000 kms, the tires on the 98 are wearing almost instantly and i will be lucky to get 40, 000 km out of them

i dont know the reasons behind this other than perhaps the quality control is spotty

they are OK in the rain and light snow, and have a decent and quiet ride

Originally Posted By: mannymachine
Anybody have any opinions on this model of tire? I was looking at these for my 2001 Ford escape.

According to Consumer Reports, it's a good tire (not one of the top though) except for snow traction.

A really good tire I just had installed is Michelin X Radial DT. It's only sold at Costco and you can order it online without being a member (with 5% surcharg but no shipping fee) and pick them up for installation at somewhere else if you are not a member or get them installed there if you're a member. This tire is really good. See my recent tread on it.

Michelin HydroEdge is topping the current all-season ratings of Consumer Reports, but I don't think it's as good as the Michelin X Radial DT they tested 6 years ago, which topped the list then. HydroEdge is also sold at Costco. Get the X Radial DT and you will be amazed how excellent it is for so little money. As the tire gets old and can sustain internal structural damage without you knowing it, you will also have the additional peace of mind of having an A+ brand like Michelin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back