Ktm 690 Suggested Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 or 2014 KTM 690 duke, not exactly sure what year off the top of my head! Bought it new, and have only used the factory recommended motorex 10w-60 with short 1,000-1,500 mile intervals. Not impressed with this expensive oil, and looking to make a switch.

Looked at various 690 threads here that are years old, and seeing if there's more recent positive experiences with other oils than the motorex. The bike had a little over 5,000 miles on it, and is stock if that matters.

Does this oil contact your clutch (wet clutch) ? Is so you probably need a JASO MA or MA2. MA2 is for bikes with Catalytic convertors.

Amazon has Motorex 15w50 for $12/ liter in 4 liter containers.

Last edited:
Past UOAs here indicate that KTMs are hard on oil, and it seems most KTM riders don't baby their machines.

One guy down in FL did a UOA on his KTM (or maybe a Ducati) with the Motorex 60 weight and it had sheared quite a bit.

You might try Maxima motorcycle oil.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Wonder why they want such a big range? That 10w60 is likely a 10w40 after just a few hundred miles. Maybe a 20w50 would work better?

I'm not sure, but it shears badly judging from others that have posted here and my own analysis. The oil is changed at short intervals anyways, and the motorex is $60 a gallon. Not worth paying that anymore for subpar results.

People seem to claim Mobil 1 v twin 20w-50 doesn't seem to shear like other oils, but not sure that could be used in a shared sump bike?

Originally Posted by Abax25
Wonder why they want such a big range? That 10w60 is likely a 10w40 after just a few hundred miles. Maybe a 20w50 would work better?

I'm not sure, but it shears badly judging from others that have posted here and my own analysis. The oil is changed at short intervals anyways, and the motorex is $60 a gallon. Not worth paying that anymore for subpar results.

People seem to claim Mobil 1 v twin 20w-50 doesn't seem to shear like other oils, but not sure that could be used in a shared sump bike?

That particular oil is fine to use in wet clutch bikes. There is an interesting UOA of that oil here, where the viscosity actually increased after 5k miles.

I have used many different oils,automotive included in my bikes. Not once did I ever have clutch problems.

Chris142 said:

I have used many different oils,automotive included in my bikes. Not once did I ever have clutch problems.

Used to say that until I used Castrol GTX 10W40 (Euro A3/B4) in 2 bikes the same day and clutches began to slip

User Albertdi did a LOT of UOAs on his KTM 690 with a LOT of different oils. Comes down to this:

Unless it is Maxima 15w-60 or Amsoil SAE60, it's going to shear down to a low 40 or 30 in no time flat.

Being in FL, I'm using Amsoil SAE60 in my LC4.

Originally Posted by Superflan
Chris142 said:

Used to say that until I used Castrol GTX 10W40 (Euro A3/B4) in 2 bikes the same day and clutches began to slip

Mobil 1 auto oil (don't remember the viscosity and before I knew better) gave me immediate 4th and 5th gear clutch slip in a 92 FJ1200

If it were mine, I would pick a monograde and stick on plug-in sump heater.
KTM makes ~great~ bikes, but man do they shear oil.

I would not get bent out of shape about MA/MA2 spec. JMO

Also, I rode that 690's cousin supermoto--Husqvarna 701.
If you don't have a hat, you need to buy a hat so you can hold onto something
That front wheel wanted to climb for nothing

When I bought this new many years ago, I was told the engine needs the special "motorex" as it's designed for the motor. Something about silver bearings similar to a diesel truck of marine engines, and some other oils might eat away at this coating...

No clue if that's true, but sick of paying a fortune for this oil, that sheers to a 40 weight in 200-500 miles from my few uoa.

how about trying SAE 50 by Royal Purple: https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-12050-Performance-Synthetic/dp/B00ELHTA8G/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548781415&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=royal%2Bpurple%2B50%2Bsae&th=1

You could go at least twice as long as you are going now; it has no VII to shear (marketed as a monograde,) and being synthetic basestock, it will have a cold crank performance much lower than SAE 50 (maybe akin to 25W or 30).

When I bought this new many years ago, I was told the engine needs the special "motorex" as it's designed for the motor. Something about silver bearings similar to a diesel truck of marine engines, and some other oils might eat away at this coating...

No clue if that's true, but sick of paying a fortune for this oil, that sheers to a 40 weight in 200-500 miles from my few uoa.

Last edited:

Just marketing BS. My Triumph bike "recommends" Castrol oil. Ducati bikes recommend Shell Helix.

Brian553 knows his stuff - follow his advice.

Originally Posted by Brian553
how about trying SAE 50 by Royal Purple: https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-12050-Performance-Synthetic/dp/B00ELHTA8G/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548781415&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=royal%2Bpurple%2B50%2Bsae&th=1

You could go at least twice as long as you are going now; it has no VII to shear (marketed as a monograde,) and being synthetic basestock, it will have a cold crank performance much lower than SAE 50 (maybe akin to 25W or 30).

The cold cranking number is a bit alarming. Morning and afternoon temp swings here in the summer

the oil change interval is shockingly small; more in line with competition bikes. Is your a competition one?

for 10-60, elf FS is an alternative (I used their FS 10/50 which is excellent); Motul and liqui moly. If it were me, I would also try mobil M1 10/50.

Originally Posted by Brian553

The cold cranking number is a bit alarming. Morning and afternoon temp swings here in the summer

Mobile 1 V-Twin or Valvoline synthetic 20w50 would be a good runner up, then if the other is too thick for your environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back