Kohler K241 problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original heads sparkplug threads got stripped out. I replaced the head the other day with a new gasket and cleaned the carbon off the piston and used new hardware. I reset the carb to factory specs. It run's now but it backfires and doesn't have as much power as it used to. The piston rings are bad and did burn about a quart every 10 hours. I started using 20w50 hoping to get some more life out of it before an overhaul. I also sanded down the points and it still backfires and now it dieseled when I shut it off. What could cause the backfiring and power loss? By some fluke did the rings finally take a dump too?

Cooling fins and shroud clean?

I've also seen many times the cam and push rod for the points wear out of spec. The result is too much timing advance with the points set at .020

Double check timing with a inductive light at several speeds. Sounds like its getting hot.

A quart in 10hrs is nothing for an old Kohler-K. Maybe check the head gasket again. There might be some leakage going on internally causing your issues. Other than that like soldierman says, hot spots on/in the engine is usually what cause the dieseling on them. K-series will last ~2000hrs with reasonable care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back