Kohler engine hard to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend has an ariens ride on mower with a Kohler twin cam engine (sorry I do not know the HP or engine # at this time)

The engine has been hard or hesitant to start, giving systems that were first thought to be a low battery.

I had just about identical systems with the 17.5 HP B&S on our mower, and that turned out to be the valve adjustment not allowing compression release at start up.

Do you think his Kohler may have the same problem?

Someone told me the the valve lash on Twin Cam Kohlers is not adjustable?

A lot of unknowns here. I would start with the easy stuff first.

Is the fuel fresh?
How about the fuel filter"
Is the air cleaner clean?
Spark plugs?

If all of the above OK, then I would want to know:

How many hours on the engine?
Has it had regular oil changes using the correct grade of oil?

I ran a Twin Cam Kohler rider for many years in VA without any issues at all. But then again, it was meticulously maintained. Will need engine model number to decide what to look for next.

Last edited:
I would bet valves need adjustment. Any engine can have issues. The OHV engines seem to be the most prone to this.

Had the same problem with my Kohler, and after replacing the starter, it is problem free. The hesitation is exactly what I had.

Check the gas cap also. The ethanol eats the venting part of the cap, which won't vent now. My Mom's JD 110 lawn tractor wouldn't start. Full of gas, had spark and compression. I thought bad gas, when I took cap off I hear a air vacuum sound. It started right up. New JD gas cap all was good.

I should re-phrase Hard starting to Hesitant cranking,
like the engine is having a hard time getting past TDC.

I would imagine this mower has quite a few hours and has had little attention in the way of maintenance.

If the engine can be persuaded to crank, it fires up and runs well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat
I should re-phrase Hard starting to Hesitant cranking,
like the engine is having a hard time getting past TDC.

I would imagine this mower has quite a few hours and has had little attention in the way of maintenance.

If the engine can be persuaded to crank, it fires up and runs well.

Sounds like it's in need of a valve adjustment, especially if turning the engine by hand (with the shroud off and spark plug wire removed) is overly difficult. Of course, this is assuming a good battery and starter.

The engine should bounce back when spun and released against compression, but should be able to turn smoothly through all four strokes.

Kohler has all of their service manuals available on their website if you need instructions on adjusting the valves. Only the lash specs are in the owners manual. It is very easy and worth trying before spending money on a starter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
A lot of unknowns here. I would start with the easy most typical stuff first.

Is the carburetor clean?
Is the fuel fresh?
How about the fuel filter?
Is the air cleaner clean?
Spark plugs?

Fixed it for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back