Kia Sedona Sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small update. After the engine flushes (2x), I drove around 200 miles then drained 1 quart of oil and refilled it with MMO. The oil weight per MMO drop around 4, so I was essentially running something around a 36W oil for the past 4500 miles. It finally got time to change the oil again so I used a bottle of Lubegard Engine Flush, ran it for 12 mins then drained it all out. The oil looked dark but nothing special. The oil filter looks fine as well. I put in SuperTech HM Full Syn 10W-40 along with 1 quart of MMO and a Fram TG oil filter. I plan on running this oil for 3-4k miles miles while periodically checking the oil dipstick for any changes.

On another note, I recently had my ATF drained again after 4k miles. The original ATF (101k) was drained and replaced with Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic. For the next 4 k miles there was some slight hesitation and harsher shifting. I opted for Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid with 10 oz of Lubegard RED and the difference is dramatic. Extremely smooth shifts. I am planning on continuing with this ATF versus the more universal ATF in the future. Small specks were still on the magnetic drain plug, so I plan on doing a drain and fill every 10k miles or so to keep the fluid fresh.

Kia never recommends to change the ATF and 120k for severe service. Valvoline says to change every 60k. Since a drain and fill gets around 5 quarts out from nearly 8 quarts capacity, I think a happy easier medium is a drain and fill every 10k.

For those wondering about tire wear on minivans, I've been doing 3k rotations and no abnormal or excessive wear. Perhaps the key is making the rotations a bit often (3-5k vs 10k) and keeping at least the factory spec psi if not a bit more, especially when you are reaching or exceeding that max load capacity from 7 people and luggage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by writes123

Kia never recommends to change the ATF and 120k for severe service. Valvoline says to change every 60k. Since a drain and fill gets around 5 quarts out from nearly 8 quarts capacity, I think a happy easier medium is a drain and fill every 10k.

Not true..per your owners manual if ANY of the following apply to you then you're supposed to follow the severe service schedule which is (R)eplace the ATF every 60k miles. After 120k miles follow the normal maintenance schedule. (this last part is curious). Make sure you follow the prescribed maintenance routine to avoid any warranty issues should a problem develop with the tranny.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by jcartwright99
There are a few cars that I would never buy used unless they had the maintenance records. Kia, lower end Nissan, and lower end FCA products. Why you ask? These manufactures usually pray on subprime buyers and have the lowest priced cars available. In my experience, these subprime buyers tend to not do the recommended maintenance. They can just afford the car payments and gas. This is what you get. Sure, I know not every subprime buyer neglects their car but why risk it?

I'd go along with the Kia thing as they're constantly advertising guaranteed financing but I disagree with Nissan and for the most part Chrysler. Have you priced a Nissan lately? Even their throw away models aren't cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back