KIA Rio oil consumption

Morning all. 2014 KIA Rio, 116,000 miles. Synthetic oil change (whatever brand is on sale in both 5W-20 and 5W-30.) 5,000 mile OCI. Never had any issues until last oil change. Noticed consumption. No leaks. Only thing I can think of is PCV valve? I bought an OEM and will put it on when it arrives. Putting it out there as I really don't know much about the history of these DI engines. The car has ran just fine it's entire life. Only failure I have had was one of the coils failed at 100,000 miles.

I'd monitor it for next oil change before doing anything hasty.
Definitely. Thanks Rand. Changing out the PCV is pretty easy, so hopefully that will resolve it. Really strange. I was shocked when I checked dipstick and saw how far down it was. Never happened before. My son needs to be checking it (his car now.)

I changed the oil and used Quaker State Full Syn 5W-20. Had some in my stash. May switch to a HM after this interval.

I have had PP disappear from my wife's old Subaru Forester FB25 at an alarming rate, Never used the GTL stuff again.
Went back to Valvoline and NO problems. PCV run open and then close with reverse manifold pressure as the pill or shuttle is mainly an anti backfire device. My Chevy truck didnt even have a pill in the PVC.

Good job planning to change pcv valve. Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 red bottle would get my vote. Son might be redlining it a little causing some of the consumption. On the flip side he’s giving it an Italian tune up each time he drives it.

Good job planning to change pcv valve. Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 red bottle would get my vote. Son might be redlining it a little causing some of the consumption. On the flip side he’s giving it an Italian tune up each time he drives it.
True on this..........

I have had PP disappear from my wife's old Subaru Forester FB25 at an alarming rate, Never used the GTL stuff again.
I have the same experience. PP and PUP starts to disappear towards the end of my oil change interval. It’s almost like the stuff just starts burning off.

I started having this with our KIA Sorento (3.5L)... It started about the same time in my M3 also, both running PP 5-30. Maybe 1/2qt per OCI. Imagine if I had ran the 5-20 spec'd!! Specifically one of the reasons I stay away from "environmentalist approved" light oils. I digress....

I run GC in our Explorer with great results and no oil usage, even over 9k mi OCI's. My last OCI on my M3 I did 4.5qts 5/30 GC and 1 qt 0/40 GC, oil usage is now gone. I have now done the same in the KIA just last weekend to resolve the same issue. We will see if it is as effective in the KIA as it was the M3. The M3 sees daily spirited drives over a 120 mile commute, the KIA sees maybe 6k mi a year.

I had the opposite issue M1 was disappearing at 2x the rate of PP in the 2013 equinox.

Went back to Valvoline and NO problems. PCV run open and then close with reverse manifold pressure as the pill or shuttle is mainly an anti backfire device. My Chevy truck didnt even have a pill in the PVC.

My Forester only lost oil on one product; Mobil1 AFE.

It seems to like supertech 0w-20. No issues there - 5 quarts went in, 6500 miles later, 5 quarts came out.

Iissue may be changing of the driver. lol

You're probably right.

Anyway, I just go the PCV valve today. Easy swap out. The old one still rattled around just like the new one, so probably not the issue. I'll keep an eye on the oil level and see how it goes. I'll probably have him run this for 5K and monitor level closely, then switch to a HM.

Hi all. Bit of an update. New PCV didn’t seem to make any difference at all. Done 3 oil changes since last July. Changed his oil a month ago with Havoline 5W-30 synthetic HM and he is averaging about 3/4 quart loss a month. Not a lot of miles driven either. He works a mile and a half away and doesn’t put a lot of miles on it.

Next oil change I’ll try 5W-30 Valvoline maxlife and see what happens.

Not sure what else to try. I’m sure it’s probably stuck rings. Piston soak maybe? That scares me a bit. Never done anything like that.

Hi all. Bit of an update. New PCV didn’t seem to make any difference at all. Done 3 oil changes since last July. Changed his oil a month ago with Havoline 5W-30 synthetic HM and he is averaging about 3/4 quart loss a month. Not a lot of miles driven either. He works a mile and a half away and doesn’t put a lot of miles on it.

Next oil change I’ll try 5W-30 Valvoline maxlife and see what happens.

Not sure what else to try. I’m sure it’s probably stuck rings. Piston soak maybe? That scares me a bit. Never done anything like that.
Thanks for the update!

Back