Key FOB Will Only Open Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1998 LS400's Key FOB will only unlock the doors. The little red light flashes and they open. However, it will not lock the doors and no red light comes on.

Is this a new FOB?

I'm gonna remove the battery and try another one but since it works on the opening of the doors, me thinks this process will be unsuccessful.

Sounds like some contacts in the buttons. Take a look when you replace the battery. I doubt replacing the battery will help.

Do you have a second key fob? Same thing?

There is usually a process of teaching/learning between the car and fob. On many cars it is manually locking and unlocking the door about 3 times in a row. 1998 is pretty old so it probably isn't coded via factory proprietary serial commands through the OBD port. I've been wrong before so you probably need a Toyota expert to chime in.

Originally Posted by Donald
Sounds like some contacts in the buttons. Take a look when you replace the battery. I doubt replacing the battery will help.

Do you have a second key fob? Same thing?

You are so doggone smart. I'm going upstairs and see if I can duplicate it with my spare. IF I have the same kind of spare.

Thanks! Will advice in 15 minutes

Battery is good. Don't have second FOB.
eek.gif

Take the remote apart again, and clean the contacts of the circuit board with q-tip dipped in a little rubbing alcohol. Then see what happens.

It is physically broken. Lexus OEM replacement with programming $125. Road trip to NC.
banana2.gif

Look on e-bay.

When I needed a fob for our 2001 Impala the dealer wanted an outrageous price, I can't remember the amount. And I saw them hanging on the backboard at Batteries+ with a sign that read $ 19.99 and asked about them and was told that it is just the case. Then I checked e-bay and found them for &7.00 + change including shipping. I arrived in a couple of days and already had a new battery installed in it and a card telling where to go on the internet to down load instruction on how to use the controls on the car radio to program it. Also I must have a lithium battery because it has been over a year and it is still working on the original battery.

Fob signals can be 'snatched' out of the air. Use you key to lock and unlock the door and your fob code cannot be stolen. This does not mean your car cannot be stolen, but it is a VERY effective deterrent in this day and age of high tech car theft.

Originally Posted by Olas
Fob signals can be 'snatched' out of the air. Use you key to lock and unlock the door and your fob code cannot be stolen. This does not mean your car cannot be stolen, but it is a VERY effective deterrent in this day and age of high tech car theft.

A lot of things can happen in today's world. I would think that FOB signals being snatched out of the air would be a pretty low concern if a concern at all for almost 100% of car owners. JMHO

Originally Posted by ls973800
Originally Posted by Olas

A lot of things can happen in today's world. I would think that FOB signals being snatched out of the air would be a pretty low concern if a concern at all for almost 100% of car owners. JMHO

I'm not sure how useful that's supposed to be. If they get the code to unlock your car, they can just steal stuff from your car. Starting a car typically requires public/private key encryption so you need the key close enough to the ignition in order to start the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back