KEROSENE - 50 Gallons - Disposal Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy give away on craigslist. Someone can filter it and run a mix of that old plus new diesel easy.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I was think kero heater , also . Maybe for a shop or garage ?

Nope you will spend a fortune and mega hours changing wicks.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My first thought was slow dosing to a bonfire.

Or else find a cheap used Smudge Pot type heater and run it through it. Those things will burn anything. No moving parts. Just a big wick.

If you filter it, run it 50/50 with #2 & a strong dose of 2-cycle oil, it can be used in any older diesel. I’ve used worse! Around here, K1 is not dyed, and I believe it is legal to run in a diesel vehicle-it used to be almost a necessity in very cold weather (before antigel & winterized fuel).

Last edited:
When I had a trench drainage system dug in the basement of my old house, I had to move the old heating oil tank that had been left in place when the furnace was converted to natural gas. I had owned the house for 12 years and assumed that the tank was empty, but when I tried to move it, it was heavy, and I heard sloshing inside. I opened up the drain valve, and out came this umber-colored kerosene, which judging from the installation date of the gas furnace, was 25 years old. I ended up draining 17 gallons of the stuff to finally empty the tank, and I gradually used it up over the next few months by putting a gallon in my Dodge Ram diesel at every fillup. When I put the first gallon in, it showed a tendency to cause the fuel lift pump to stop. I assumed it was gumming up the rotor, so I dosed the old kerosene with Power Service diesel fuel treatment. No further problems after that. All these shenanigans were back in 2016, and I have put about 180k miles on the truck since then, so I think I got away with it.

save and use for starting burn piles...I don't think it would go bad for that purpose.
Otherwise, I agree with the others...post on Craigslist and it will be gone in a day or two. You could even make $20 out of the deal.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I was think kero heater , also . Maybe for a shop or garage ?

Nope you will spend a fortune and mega hours changing wicks.
How do you figure? It should burn fine unless it has water in it which should be easy to remove. I might not burn it in the house but it should be fine in the garage or outside using the heater like a small bonfire on a chilly night.

Many rural residence use drain oil to heat their equipment shops. Should be able to use that kerosene without a problem if it is strained or filtered first. I've seen some yucky stuff burned in those waste oil heaters.

OP here,

I called an Indy Mechanic who heats with Oil.
He said "NO"

I would really love to get rid of it to save my Uncle $330
I'm hesitant to put on Craigslist because it's well, Craigslist.

Edit:
Craigslist shows NO Hazardous Material can be listed / Kerosene is considered Hazardous.
Like I said earlier, if you have any drums of hazardous material in your yard,
start thinking now how you'll get rid of them.
For my Uncle, paying $330 is chump change compared to the drum leaking while he's
in Florida for the Winter.
In the big scheme of things, this is a good problem.

I'm slowly eliminating all the possibilities.

Last edited:
I'm surprised you're hesitant about Craigslist. I don't think anyone ever reads the rules. There's a couple people selling kerosene on mine, even heating oil.

I like the smudge pot idea earlier, just use it for lighting at night.

But it's probably stable as is in those buckets so you can just til next year and get 4 pals to dump it all at the next pickup. Or check with 4 pals and see when it is in their town.

Automobiles are sold all the time with this nasty stuff called "gasoline". Can't see why CL would have a problem with it, if nothing else put it into the free section and I bet it'd be claimed before anyone flagged the ad.

But otherwise, yeah it'll sit just fine in containers. It's not that flammable that you should worry about it. If you're just going to take to the transfer station, store under a tree or something somewhat shaded, if you don't want in the house.

heck, put out by the side of the road with a "free" sign. Bet that will make it go away too.

OP here,

I ended up putting an ad on Craigslist in the FREE Section.
Someone called me in 15 minutes.
I was happy to deliver and it is now ALL GONE.

Could I have sold it, probably, but my priority was to just get rid of it A.S.A.P.

I'm happy
My Uncle is very happy (saved $330)

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
OP here,

I ended up putting an ad on Craigslist in the FREE Section.
Someone called me in 15 minutes.
I was happy to deliver and it is now ALL GONE.

Could I have sold it, probably, but my priority was to just get rid of it A.S.A.P.

I'm happy
My Uncle is very happy (saved $330)

Keep an eye out. Maybe he'll sell it. Not that it matters.

It's a usable fuel.
Of course somebody would take a hundred and fifty dollars worth of it in nice reusable buckets with lids for free.
You should have listed it before buying the buckets and going to the trouble of decanting the stuff into them.
You are now left with a salable ghetto bar-b-que grill in the raw to unload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back