Kendall versatrans....smells like fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bought a case of vesatrans for a mercon v application, a 4r70w. i wanted to use something as close to the motorcraft fluid as i could get and decided on kendall versatrans, for mercon v and many asian and german transmissions thinking it would be a little more robust than strictly a merc v fluid. i was only able to change out 4 quarts as there is no drainplug on the torque converter, even though there is a port on the bellhousing to access said bolt. i undid the lower cooler line at the rad, pumped out fluid until it burped. lowered the pan and cleaned it out, black varnish lightly layered the inside but was easily cleaned with a rag and atf. magnet had normal wear materials clinging to it for 50,000 miles. filter looks fine, back on with the trans pan.

pour in 4 quarts, check the level and take a whiff of one of the bottles, it smells like some kind of fish, maybe fish oil. very unique and strange. but it must be good stuff as shifting is a lot more direct with less slippage. i didn't expect much difference from only changing 4 quarts in a 14 quart system. i'm impressed, i would use it again in a 4r70w.

Valvoline Maxlife ATF also stinks. If I have some spilled on the garage floor, I can smell it in the house.

kendall is made by conoco phillips, they make the oil for motorcraft as well. i suspect its very close to the same formula.

-maxlife isn't too bad, unless they changed the formula. i have the newer jugs that say mercon lv on the front. stinky but doesn't make me want to vomit like the versatrans does.

i do want to, i have a pump from harbor freight i can use to pump fluid back in. i just need to adapt to the fitting on the hard line.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Valvoline Maxlife ATF also stinks. If I have some spilled on the garage floor, I can smell it in the house.

Maxlife smells like the Royal Purple Synchromax fluid I used for a short time in my 190D. In a way they smell like a much subdued gear oil. I wonder if it's extreme pressure additives or the FMs the Maxlife is blended with.

Originally Posted By: jmaster

i do want to, i have a pump from harbor freight i can use to pump fluid back in. i just need to adapt to the fitting on the hard line.

No dipstick I take it?

Originally Posted By: mannys9130
Originally Posted By: Farmer

Maxlife smells like the Royal Purple Synchromax fluid I used for a short time in my 190D. In a way they smell like a much subdued gear oil. I wonder if it's extreme pressure additives or the FMs the Maxlife is blended with.

The aroma is a combination of the FM's, the VII's, and the phosphate AW package.

theres a dipstick. i was saying the return line doesn't have suction on it, so fluid would slowly gravity feed back in. a pump is needed to push fluid back into the trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back