Mercon-V users...What Brand are you Using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m posting this thread as a friend and I were discussing Mercon-V ATF earlier today.

As it appears, I’m out-of-luck in regards to obtaining the Aamco Mercon-V/Dexron-III(H) ATF in this area. This fluid was originally my first choice given ExxonMobil’s straightforward marketing, top-notch R&D, impressive specs for the money, as well as good results from other BITOG members.

However, my two choices in this area are either Valvoline Mercon-V (Multi-Vehicle) or Castrol Mercon-V.

It’d be great if BITOGers who are using a Mercon-V ATF to provide me with the following info, as I’m curious as to the performance of various brands in various apps. With Castrol Mercon-V or Valvoline Mercon-V (identical to Durablend Mercon-V) being my two choices, I’m especially interested in the performance of those two fluids. I was hesitant to suggest either brand to my friend as I’ve heard mixed reviews with using either product.

For example, one member on a Ford forum had issues with using the Valvoline Durablend Mercon-V ATF in his Ford Ranger with the 5R55 (?) transmission. He had done a complete 100% fluid exchange at a VIOC and the shifts weren’t nearly as good as the prior Mercon-V fluid. He then did a complete exchange himself, at home, with Castrol Mercon-V and the shifts became extremely smooth. Ironically, thunderbird and unDummy on this forum have both had excellent results with the Valvoline Mercon-V product.
confused.gif

Thus, if you’re using a Mercon-V fluid, it’d be great if you could please provide the following info:

1) Year/Make/Model
2) Model Name of transmission (i.e. 4R70W)
3) Miles on transmission
4) Past fluids used
5) Type of Mercon-V fluid that you are currently using
6) Method of fluid change used at the most recent fluid change (DIY flush, triple drain/refill, single pan or drain plug drain, etc)
7) Number of miles on the current fluid
8) Performance of the particular Mercon-V fluid in comparision to past/other brands.

Thanks for helping my desire to learn more!

Michael, don't know how much this will help you, but I've used both the Aamco and Castrol Mercon V in my 2000 Explorer Sport w/5R55E.

To tell the truth, I can't tell any difference in those two brands. The trans has about 72K miles on it, and shifts equally well with both fluids. After an initial pan drop/filter change, I suction out about 3 qts every summer (14K miles)for a partial ATF exchange. I do use LubeGard Red in this trans; @ 1 oz per qt ratio.

2004 ford f-150
4R70W trans (iirc)
39,000 miles
factory fill
AAMCO merconV
drained pan and replaced filter
6,000 miles on current fluid
didn't notice any changes

2002 Chicago-built Taurus
4F50N (AX4N)
30,000 miles
factory fill (?Conoco - not sold in Canada)
Canadian Motorcraft Mecron V (can't tell who makes it - don't recognize the packaging)
drop pan and change filter (60% of total volume replaced)
10K miles on current fluid
no difference

I use a mix of 1 qt 76 brand and 5 qt Castrol from Walmart. Both seems to work fine and I can't tell the difference from the factory fill.

1) 2002/Ford/Ranger w/4.0L
2) Xmission: I believe 5R55
3) Miles on truck: 52K
4) Fluids used: Factory fill/Castrol Mercon-V
5) Currently using Castrol Mercon-V
6) Flushed using DIY method found on the Amsoil site. I went through about 13 quarts iirc.
7) 12K on current fluid
8) Performance of Castrol Mercon-V has been comparable to factory fill.

Michael, I went through the same thing last year trying to choose a Mercon-V fluid and had the same two name brands to choose from. I've seen some negative comments about Castrol Mercon-V but I will continue to use it based on the experience I'd had with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back