Keeping the rodents from eating my CAF

My wife has an older RAV4 she only drives for certain tasks so it’s not unusual for it to sit a couple of weeks before being driven. We’re out in the boonies so the field mice love to climb into the intake and either nest on or even chew thru the cabin air filter. Has anyone ever tried cutting a piece of window screen or maybe 1/4” square mesh to fit over the filter? I think I might give that a try because I don’t love smelling mouse poop blowing in my face.

I wouldnt put the mesh that far back.. I'd block them from getting in somehow. they usually come in from the intake side.. doubt they are crawling up from the bottom inside car.

I wouldnt put the mesh that far back.. I'd block them from getting in somehow. they usually come in from the intake side.. doubt they are crawling up from the bottom inside car.
The filter is close to intake and in front of the blower in this car.

I wonder if anyone has made a Youtube video of this happening yet? And if any money could be made if it got a million hits?

Need to block it where it pulls air from outside. Most of the time its in the cowl area. I would use hardware cloth instead of window screen because its less restrictive to air and its stronger.

CAF protector-->
1628214617850.jpg

Patience is a virtue. Second one gets the cheese!

I'd try stuffing steel wool in the area they are getting in.

If they eat that, then I have no more solutions for you.
:(

you could try putting poison pellets where they are chewing through, (ie the bottom of the cabin filter, I'm assuming) just be sure that the pellets are being sucked into the filter (if that makes sense)

other than that, a wire mesh that's screwed in would work as well (if you can find a area which it would work in)

We have feral cats in the neighborhood. I haven't seen a mouse or rat since we bought the house brand new.

Shake a good amount of fine ground pepper on the ground where you park . Then place the vehicle over it . Best when dry for a few days or more . Also check the cabin filter more often .

Shake a good amount of fine ground pepper on the ground where you park . Then place the vehicle over it . Best when dry for a few days or more . Also check the cabin filter more often .
Yeah but then you'll be infested with podcasters filming reaction videos from eating the world's spiciest driveway.

I'd rather have the mice.

:) . Have had a few times where the pepper on drive made me sneeze . Should do the same for a small critter .

Spray ammonia under and around the vehicle. Rodents don’t like the smell. Another idea is to place a old rag under the car with a stick and soak with ammonia. Re spray every two or three days.

Is it just because of the farm/field situation or are their bird feeders, etc nearby?

If you can't keep the rodents away and it's a vehicle that sits, it's always going to be a problem. They'll find other ways in.

I'd try to use the vehicle more or park it out of the elements.

Back