Keeping a transmission clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvl

I would like to get a few opinions on a thought of mine:

A few days back I was asking questions regarding the 6R75 transmission used in our new Expedition. As was mentioned here and is documented in the owner’s manual, there is no dipstick tube access from the engine compartment. The transmission is considered a sealed unit. However, there is a plug on the side of the transmission where an individual can add, remove or check fluid levels.

And, to make matters worse, the torque converter does not have a drain plug installed on it as does some of the older models. So, in order to adequately purge the system of the majority of its fluid, the owner would need to get the unit flushed.

I really do not want to be dependent on someone else to do a periodic flush ............ I simply do like to take my vehicles to the shop to "get broken"!

So, I have ordered a Motive Products vacuum extractor tank along with an additional pressure pump. I was thinking of utilizing the access plug on the side of the transmission to extract the fluid from the pan on a regular basis (maybe every 7,500 miles) and then refilling with fresh fluid. Once "mixed" with the remaining fluid, the contents would then become somewhat cleaner. By doing this on a regular basis, I would like to think the fluid in the transmission would never become extremely dirty. Of course, maybe every 50,000 miles I would drop the pan and change the filter also.

What do you think? The extractor tank would make it extremely easy to remove and add clean fluid ......... not to mention clean and hassle free. Am I just dreaming or is this a viable option?

Is anyone else already doing something similar?

I think that unless you're towing with the Expy, you shouldn't waste your time doing the extract/re-fill thing more than every 30-40k miles. I speak from experience with an Expedition. My wife's '97 Expy had the OEM tranny fluid changed in 2001 at around 65k miles. When we sold the Expy in '07 with around 140k miles on it, the ATF had not even hinted at changing color, and had no burnt smell to it. My opinion is that it would have been good for at least another 50k miles easy before another fluid exchange was needed.

What you're talking about is most often called a "Drain and Refill". It's very common, many of us do it on a regular basis.

The biggest problem you have is that because you have a sealed tranny, the task will be a little harder, but that's not a big deal. It sounds like you've devised a "work-around" that will get the job done, good for you.

But I really don't think you need to be doing it every 7500 miles, that's a bit overboard, IMO. Considering the fact that many people ( really, MOST people ) hardly even think about their ATF, you'd be way ahead of the curve if you did a D & R every 25,000 miles or so.

Also, keep in mind that this will only be a "viable option" if your system works well enough to remove, say, around 1/5th to 1/4th ( or more ) of the total capacity of your tranny.

Good luck :)

It's not a bad idea. The only thing is, when you extract fluid like others have noted, you are not getting all the old ATF out. The best way is a DIY cooler line flush. If you use a good atf such as Redline or Amsoil you can extend your intervals and your trans will lead a long and happy life.

The cooler line flush is very easy. Have you ever heard of this method and are you someone that does some work on your own vehicle?

Last edited:
The filter in an automatic transmission is more a screen, and less of a filter. It does have friction clutches but they are not similar to frictions like a brake pads, they arn't just going to "wear out"

Its very common to still see writing on the clutch and band surfaces of 150,000 trannys...they just dont wear out if there isnt a problem.

The transmission is sealed from the outside elements, so the only stuff that can dirty the filter is clutch material, bushing material etc...in other words, the filter is good for the life of the transmission and your wasting your time changing it.

The fellers suggesting the at home cooler flush method are not familiar with the operating characteristics of this transmission, it has a thermostat, it will have zero flow to the cooler until its up to proper operating tempreture. You must power brake the thing and get it smoking hot to get the cooler lines to flow, which is a royal pain in the rump because the PCM keeps you from building up RPMS attempting to powerbrake because it thinks your idiot and trying to grenade the tranny.

Suck your juice out, fill it back up with mercon SP, do it again at the next oil change, and then forget it till 60K

Originally Posted By: hate2work
The biggest problem you have is that because you have a sealed tranny, the task will be a little harder, but that's not a big deal.

Not exactly sure what is meant by sealed tranny. Even the owners manual indicates this. The fact the tranny does not have a dip stick tube up top is true. But there is a plug at the tranny AND the pan can also be dropped. So, why sealed????????

Which fluid is spec'ed for this transmission? The newest specs for ATF make the fluids much longer life than older fluids. For example, GM's Dexron-VI ATF is intended to be a true 100,000 mile fluid even in severe service.

Instead of all the work you're planning on doing, how about some plan like sending a fluid sample to a testing lab, maybe every 30,000 miles? Find out the condition of the fluid before you waste good fluid, time, and money.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Which fluid is spec'ed for this transmission? The newest specs for ATF make the fluids much longer life than older fluids. For example, GM's Dexron-VI ATF is intended to be a true 100,000 mile fluid even in severe service.

Instead of all the work you're planning on doing, how about some plan like sending a fluid sample to a testing lab, maybe every 30,000 miles? Find out the condition of the fluid before you waste good fluid, time, and money.

Mercon SP in all the 6 speed rwds and the torqshift

Originally Posted By: tvl
Originally Posted By: hate2work
The biggest problem you have is that because you have a sealed tranny, the task will be a little harder, but that's not a big deal.

Not exactly sure what is meant by sealed tranny. Even the owners manual indicates this. The fact the tranny does not have a dip stick tube up top is true. But there is a plug at the tranny AND the pan can also be dropped. So, why sealed????????

Yeah, "sealed" might not be the best word, but I've heard others use the term loosely to mean a "lifetime" transmision.

Ironically, they really aren't lifetime trannies at all, as you still have to service them around 100k miles. Officially, on many of them you're supposed to check the fluid level with the engine warm, the car level, and the engine running. To me, that would be a PITA, which is why I liked the OP's idea of doing a drain and refill with his pump and extractor that he bought.

But you're right, they really aren't "sealed" at all
blush.gif

My transmission has a "Lifetime" non-user serviceable filter that is on top of the valve-body and can't be "Gotten" to unless you take half the transmission apart. They do however give you a drain plug and recommend 48,000KM oil change intervals. So I change it much more often than that and hope for the best!
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Dexron VI product data sheet touts the fluid as having shear stability twice as long as Dexron III. For those of us that follow 30K fluid service intervals (as often recommended by the service manual), that means the interval can be extended to 60K, not 100K.

tvl, I agree with the others who say that 7,500 miles is WAY too often. Obviously you won't hurt anything so if it makes you happy then go for it, but it's not going to buy you anything. Doing a drain-and-fill every 15-30,000 miles and changing the filter once is more like it.

Yeah, "sealed" is marketing-speak meaning "we don't want the customer fooling around with it so we made it hard to do so the customer will have to take it to the dealer and pay them an obscene amount".

It can also mean "our transmissions are SO reliable and SO excellent that you NEVER have to service them so we took away the dipstick because you'll never need it...EVAR"

Give me a lifetime transmission warranty and I'll practice that lifetime sealed fluid mantra. Any automaker willing to step up?

Pick any maintenance interval you feel comfortable with, based on your driving style/usage. Keeps eyes on TSBs, recalls, reported issues on your transmission family.

IMO, earlier is better as long as it doesn't cause financial stress, and you recycle.

If you don't have a drain plug, install one. If you don't have a filter that is easily changed, install an inline filter. If your transmission runs hot or vehicle is worked, install an ATF cooler.

Gramma can drive a vehicle with the most unreliable transmission, never maintain it, and it'll last her forever. Give me the strongest transmission and I'll break it quickly!

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Give me a lifetime transmission warranty and I'll practice that lifetime sealed fluid mantra. Any automaker willing to step up?

Chrysler has you covered.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
If you don't have a drain plug, install one.

I would like a little more information on installing a drain plug on my transmission pan. The oil pan has a threaded plug, which is what I would also like on the transmission pan. What type plug are you referring to??? Any links you can provide?

And, of all the information I might receive, which aftermarket kit is considered to be the most straightforward to install and will NOT leak!

tvl, I would just use the vaccum pump that you have already bought.....sounds much easier....less fuss and worry about leakage.

You might want to go AT LEAST 10K - 15K before pulling some fluid out and replacing with fresh Mercon SP.

I would measure the amount of fluid you take out....and put the same amount back in.

From what rustyknife is saying....the cooler line method is not going to work.....so what you originally were thinking sounds like a good plan......just extend the interval.

Originally Posted By: wiswind
tvl, I would just use the vaccum pump that you have already bought.....sounds much easier....less fuss and worry about leakage.

Thanks ................... I needed that! I do believe I will stick with my original plan. I really did not like the way the aftermarket plug looked anyway. It appears it could be a pain!

By the way, I received the Motive extractor tank on Thursday. I tried it out on the power steering fluid reservoir yesterday. Worked like a charm. It pulled the cold fluid out in less than two minutes. I was pleased with the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back