Keeping 2 stroke oil fresh?

I usually end up mixing more 2 stroke oil/gas than I'd care to and I guess it is supposed to go bad after "x" amount of time.

To be honest, I have used 2 stroke oil/gas a year after mixing it and all of my equipment like leaf blower, weed eater, chainsaw, etc. have run fine.

I guess that I am not supposed to do that though. Is there a correct way to extend the life of my 2 stroke/gas mix? I have heard about stuff like Sta-bil but have never used it and believe there are different types of Sta-bil etc.

Kind of lost but would rather do the right thing if it is necessary as opposed to wasting hours fixing what I broke.

What is the *correct* way? Just don't use the mix after "x" amount of time?

Thanks for your help!!

Most 2-stroke oils have a fuel stabilizer in them, read the packaging. If not, you can use Sta-bil. If the gas is stored correctly (sealed container, out of direct sunlight, etc.) it should last a year or so.

At the end mowing season if I have leftover 2-stroke mix, I dump it in one of my older vehicles. I wouldn't keep the gas stored more than a calendar year.

I hate that when my gas gets that not so fresh feeling.

Put it in a good sealed fuel container and it will still only last for a certain amount of time.

Gas going bad is a fallacy. There.....I said it, now I suppose I will be skewered. Gas will last indefinitely with "one condition". The container must be "perfectly sealed". If it is, the volatiles will not evaporate away and secondly, and more importantly, moisture will not get inside and mix with the ethanol portion (assuming there is any). I have had gas that was 5 years old, sat in a jetski, outside in Minnesota. I siphoned it and tried it in both my lawn mower and when that ran fine, it went in my RAV4.
The reason gas goes bad is you have a leak in your system. No leak, no issue.

Been using 2 oz SeaFoam per 1 gallon 2-cycle fuel for 11 years and always use leftover fuel in the spring . Fuel powers an 11 yr old Craftsman leaf blower and a 10 yr old Echo GTM Trimmer. Haven't had a fuel related issue with either

Been using 2 oz SeaFoam per 1 gallon 2-cycle fuel for 11 years and always use leftover fuel in the spring . Fuel powers an 11 yr old Craftsman leaf blower and a 10 yr old Echo GTM Trimmer. Haven't had a fuel related issue with either
I've had the same results using Sea Foam to treat my 2 cycle gas.

I mix a gallon and it usually lasts me two years. Any leftover after two years gets dumped in the car on top of a mostly full gas tank.

After two years, the gas still works. It's just harder to start and ore finicky to run, so I replace it.

I use mixed fuel up to 2 years old. I do notice towards the end the primer on the lawnboy takes 4 pushes to start, rather than the normal 2 or 3(if cold) and then the engine stumbles a bit the first 30 seconds.

That mower was new in 79 so must no be doing any long term harm.

Rod

Back