Keep OE carb vs replacement

JHZR2

Staff member
My echo ES-210 runs great and starts rapidly. It is all original, bought in 2006. Recently the primer bulb cracked, so it spits a bit of gas when priming.

On amazon, a kit that includes a spark plug, filter, three (?) primer bulbs, and a new carb was available. I didn't look that hard, but didn't see any standalone bulbs fwiw.

So the question becomes if I'm better off just replacing the bulb, or replacing the carb. It's an ain't broke, don't fix it situation, and I have no idea if the carb is set right.

Since it runs well, is there any good reason to replace the carb?

This thing got pretty heavy use until I bought a backpack blower two years ago. I'm going to use it for the vac function now, so I anticipate it will get heavy use again. We have a lot of holly and maple trees that drop a lot.

The primer bulbs are replacement items. Replace it without worry.

The replacement carbs can be superb, but if you have no issues, why bother.

Don't replace your carb with a knock off if it works fine. In 3 pieces of equipment I have the replace carbs didn't work the same as oem. Several pieces of equipment were given to me... one had governor spring hookup issues, another ran very poorly, and my trimmer doesn't run full rpm which results in poor performance.

The bulb should be replaceable. My local auto parts store has ope parts and they have bulbs. Maybe your parts store has parts and it will fit?

Hmmm, well the bulb and return hose (which was cracked) didn't fix the issue.

Primer bulb doesn't fill with gas. Blower starts easy and runs, but will cut out on occasion. I use it now as a vac, and so some of that is due to sticks I think. I don't think it runs as strong as it used to, but its been a few years. I can easily vac up a full bag of mulched leaves with this, in its current state.

But I know something isn't quite right.

Primer bulb still won't fill with new bulb and new hoses/filters all around.

When running, if I pump the primer bulb, it will fill up about 90%. Then it off and it will pump out when I press the bulb. It's maybe 25% full, max.

Not sure if this is another clue, but the old AF was pretty soaked in oil (it's a dry media type):

[Linked Image]

It's generally pretty filthy, and is currently seeping gas. That may be my error?
[Linked Image]

I don't understand why the primer bulb isn't filling.

Soaked filter maybe you have some else going on. It is a 2 stroke correct?

And now gas is literally flowing out of the tank vent. That may be because it's a $16 kit...

[Linked Image]

The lines are corrected properly....

Originally Posted by ls1mike
I don't understand why the primer bulb isn't filling.

Soaked filter maybe you have some else going on. It is a 2 stroke correct?

Yes. IME all two stroke stuff is a bit oily in time.

But this one is vastly more.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Have you checked/replaced the fuel filter on the end of the fuel line, in the tank?

I was going there next.
smile.gif

The size of the air bubble in the bulb isn't really that important. What's important is that you see fuel moving through both the intake and return lines. If you see fuel going back into the tank, then it's getting a prime. Also, those tank vents do fail sometimes so I would replace it if its leaking a lot. Maybe try putting the old one back on if the one that's leaking came with the parts you bought?

As for the loss of power, first thing I would do is to check the spark arrestor and make sure it's not carbon-ed up. You can clean the carbon off the screen easily with a propane torch. Second, at 12 years old it's likely that the diaphragms in the carb are stiff with age and exposure to ethanol. I would put a kit in it at least. Third, if you find that there continues to be an excessive amount of gas saturating the air filter, fuel spitback can be caused by a worn piston that allows too much combustion pressure to escape into the crankcase at the bottom of the stroke.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Have you checked/replaced the fuel filter on the end of the fuel line, in the tank?

I was going there next.
smile.gif

I'm thinking, if the filter is plugged/partially plugged, and he pumps the primer bulb, the pressure builds in the tank, and fuel goes out the vent.

Last edited:

Yes, that was the very first thing I did.

Originally Posted by ripcord
The size of the air bubble in the bulb isn't really that important. What's important is that you see fuel moving through both the intake and return lines. If you see fuel going back into the tank, then it's getting a prime. Also, those tank vents do fail sometimes so I would replace it if its leaking a lot. Maybe try putting the old one back on if the one that's leaking came with the parts you bought?

As for the loss of power, first thing I would do is to check the spark arrestor and make sure it's not carbon-ed up. You can clean the carbon off the screen easily with a propane torch. Second, at 12 years old it's likely that the diaphragms in the carb are stiff with age and exposure to ethanol. I would put a kit in it at least. Third, if you find that there continues to be an excessive amount of gas saturating the air filter, fuel spitback can be caused by a worn piston that allows too much combustion pressure to escape into the crankcase at the bottom of the stroke.

The issue was that the "air bubble" was more like 90% of the primer. Some fuel was spitting through the return line, but it was mainly air.

Good call on spark arrestor. Ive never messed with one on any of my equipment.

The oil in the filter has been like that for a long time. I dont know that it's new, but I will track it Now that I have a new clean filter in there.

Do you know if they sell just the primer diaphragm? Am I better off installing this no name $16 amazon kit, or getting one OE to install into my existing carb? I know the settings on the current carb are right...

I'm thinking, if the filter is plugged/partially plugged, and he pumps the primer bulb, the pressure builds in the tank, and fuel goes out the vent.

I think the issue was the vent line was too long. Ive never known it to be a problem, but it was long enough to have the in-tank end sitting in fuel... and then the tank would pressurize just from sunlight I guess, and get the flow started...

Back