Keep it or toss it???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter is about one year old, maybe 6K-8K miles. I usually change them when they are dirty like this.

qYMdiaEl.jpg

zxGwMjnl.jpg

That doesn't look dirty to me, I'd knock any bigger stuff out & put it back in. As long as daylight shines through, it isn't plugged, although a Filter Minder or similar restriction gauge is the best way to know for sure.

You caught that filter in the nick of time. Anymore dirt and your engine would've been toast!

Put that baby back in, button it up tight and don't check it again for another ~25-30k miles. AF's get more efficient with use and this one has lots of holding capacity left.

And opening the air box regularly to check AF is not best practice. Chance of weakened or damaged gasket not keeping a good seal.

The 12k mile/12 month recommendation many manufacturers have is to sell AFs. If you want to read an interesting thread on AF change intervals check out the link. Respected member Jim Allen comments on it.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...K..warning,_GRA

alright, its more of a feel good change I guess. Most of my traveling is on forest/desert trails so I like to replace things early than wait (I guess).

That is not even close to being dirty. Changing an air filter too often increases engine wear.

In Arizona air, which I imagine is pretty clean, I'd think an air filter would go about 50k miles or more. We used to change filters at 15k miles back in the 60s & 70s, but the air was much dirtier. OP your AF looks new to me - save your money and some space in the landfill.

Looks almost new. I am guilty of overchanging them too however..I am going to cut back to once per year for air filter, I put about 20-30k kms on my car per year. Tend to change cabin filter twice a year as it gets dirty more quickly.

Heck, I simply reverse the filter direction every 12,000 miles and keep the air filter for as long as the engine lasts!

crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back