Kawasaki FR251v Shuts Down

My neighbor has a cub cadet rider with a twin cylinder kawi. We worked on it this summer together. He says it looses the coils every couple of years. they even showed a spark when we tested it, but admittedly the spark was weak and I wasn’t sure what to expect for that engine. Ultimately, he bought two coils at 65$ and it ran After that. He said the oem coils are pricey but last much longer.

My neighbor has a cub cadet rider with a twin cylinder kawi. We worked on it this summer together. He says it looses the coils every couple of years. they even showed a spark when we tested it, but admittedly the spark was weak and I wasn’t sure what to expect for that engine. Ultimately, he bought two coils at 65$ and it ran After that. He said the oem coils are pricey but last much longer.
Odd that they both go out at the same time (assuming a 2 Cylinder).

it seems they get weaker, the symptom is poor spark at lower rpm’s. If you can spin it fast enough, they work. So one might get weak before the other, but when neither can catch at start rpm, it’s done.

Buy one of those adjustable spark testers - takes a lot of guesswork out of it.. You can set the gap wide enough to (stress) test most all coils from small engine to automotive

the choke thing has me thinking gas.
why would you need to choke it if it was coil.

is there a chinese carb available cheap?
You have a multi-thousand dollar mower and want a Chinese carb? Get the OEM part and never look back. Chinese carbs are a gamble.

1. LOAD test the ignition coils. Inline spark testers are a total waste of time and money. They do NOT duplicate a real cylinder under compression.

2. Pressure test the carb needle and seat.

3. Remove engine cover down to the flywheel. Remove all dirt, grass, oil, bugs and so on off the engine cooling fins and engine block. Look under the flywheel and behind mufflers ect.... Block and fins should resemble a new engine. This is a YEARLY maintenance item in ALL air cooled, small engine manuals. Neglect this and you are asking for engine damage.

4.Check for vacuum leaks around intake tubes and such.

Back