Kawasaki FR251v Shuts Down

I'm stumped now. My toro ss5000 zero turn acts like its out of fuel. I have replaced the fuel pump from the dealer. I have taken the carb apart, its clean, jets clear, every ventouri clear. I clipped the solenoid tip for shutoff so thats not it. Fuel bowl has gas in it upon removal.

It will crank up and go to full speed fine on choke , cant take choke off or it will die. After about 10 seconds it will not run with the choke on. Only 180hrs. Engine runs quiet, I'm now thinking i have a coil failing but it acts like fuel.

Plugs look good. Only thing left is coils and pull a the valve cover for a look.

The one thing that makes me suspect a coil, is that it runs flawless for about 30 seconds. I think i will take the cover off and see if i can get my timing light clip on a spark plug wire, see if that shows fire while its dying.

the choke thing has me thinking gas.
why would you need to choke it if it was coil.

is there a chinese carb available cheap?

The one thing that makes me suspect a coil, is that it runs flawless for about 30 seconds. I think i will take the cover off and see if i can get my timing light clip on a spark plug wire, see if that shows fire while its dying.

You can also wait till it dies, then immediately spray some GUMOUT
download.jpg
carb cleaner in the carb and see if it fires. Other than ether which we all know what it can do to an engine, GUMOUT is the only Carb cleaner that readily burns easily. If it fires up on that spray, then its not the coil. If it still doesn't fire up, then its an ignition issue. This method has worked for me troubleshooting engine no starts 100%.

Change fuel filter or look for a kinked line? Both will eventually fill the bowl that you see, but slowly. By time you check the bowl is full.

the choke thing has me thinking gas.
why would you need to choke it if it was coil.

is there a chinese carb available cheap?
That's what i thought too. Carb was clean, i ran stylets through every port and orifice, all were clear, flows carb spray through every port, jet taken apart. I cut the cutoff solenoid pintle as well. Float was fine as well as the needle seat.

I've taken apart tons of small engine carbs, and usually if its a carb problem, i can find it.

I just went out and it runs fine, all speeds, choke off. Timing light shows spark on both cylinders. I will leave the cover loose, and run it tomorrow, if it does it again, i can get the timing light on the wires. If it does it again hot, after some run time, i think i will just order coils.

Last edited:
So it's running fine now ? What did you do ?
Nothing other than its cool. Before, it would run about 30 minutes before running poor, and shutting off. Then i progressed to running only about 10 minutes or so. But that was without a complete cool down.

How hot was it when it shut down? Thinking about gas clippings/mouse nest blocking cooling fins. Overheat causing vapor lock. Another thing to check is make sure carb/intake connections are tight and sucking air.

After reading this thread maybe the Coils are going bad. The OP said it would run fine for 30 minutes and go bad, and then 10 minutes. I have a Kawasaki on my walk behind and when the coil went bad it would not start.

spasm3 before you go out and buy 2 coils take the fuel cap off and blow the inside of it with compressed air. My mower once had an issue where it would run for 10 minutes and then just shut down like yours. Good Luck!

After reading this thread maybe the Coils are going bad. The OP said it would run fine for 30 minutes and go bad, and then 10 minutes. I have a Kawasaki on my walk behind and when the coil went bad it would not start.

spasm3 before you go out and buy 2 coils take the fuel cap off and blow the inside of it with compressed air. My mower once had an issue where it would run for 10 minutes and then just shut down like yours. Good Luck!
Thanks , i tried running it with the cap off in case i was not venting. If it does it again, i'm buy coils.

I would put an in-line spark tester on and watch what happens when the engine starts running differently before dropping the money for coils.

Also only buy OEM coils, the ebay garbage will have you doing the same thing in less than a year.

I would put an in-line spark tester on and watch what happens when the engine starts running differently before dropping the money for coils.

Also only buy OEM coils, the ebay garbage will have you doing the same thing in less than a year.
Yes , next time it cuts out, i'm putting my timing light on it.

Same problem persists. Timing light confirmed fire to each plug.
Plugs look like this , one more carboned up.
IMG_20211212_121820539.jpg

replaced them with ones i had on hand. No difference.
IMG_20211212_123246912.jpg

Last edited:
Back