K&N 171 - Forum Article in Response To Their Oil Filter Performance For Harley’s

Good Evening Board,

I found this article in a Harley Forum, written by a K&N employee in response to a question about their performance, I found it interesting, and it seems to make sense to me.

Thoughts from the Board?

When referring to particle sizes in regards to oil filters, it is important to realize exactly how small the particles being discussed really are. Then, we can discuss the filtration effects of the filters in question in regards to engine life. There is a misconception when it comes to oil filters, that the smaller the micron rating the better the filter. Some companies rate their filter as a "5 micron" filter, which means the filter will catch particles microns in size with at least 50% efficiency. Let's put a 5 micron particle in perspective. 1 micron is .001mm (or .00003937 inch), so 5 micron is .005mm (.00019685 inch). The tolerances in your engine will be no smaller than 2.5 thousandths of an inch (.0025"). So, 2.5 thousands of an inch, which is equal to a 63.5 micron particle. A 5 micron particle is smaller than a human red blood cell, and too small to see with the naked eye. So how can a particle that size cause damage to your engine?

Next, let's consider the purpose of an oil filter bypass valve. A bypass valve opens when the inlet side of the filter gets too restrictive. This can happen when the engine is cold and the viscosity of the oil is high (due to the weight of the oil), but this primarily happens when the filter media gets too restrictive or clogged. This is done to keep catastrophic engine failure from occurring; dirty oil is better than no oil.

The lower the pressure relief rating, the sooner the valve allows unfiltered oil to enter your system. The last factor that contributes to the bypass opening is the amount (surface area of the filter media used in the filter. A filter that has a high surface area is going to hold more contaminant and promote good oil flow for a longer period of time, so the bypass will take longer to open.

If the filter you use is 95% efficient at 5 microns it is going to remove more contaminants than a filter that is 3% efficient at 5 microns. The question is, how long will it take for those filters to load up with contaminant and enter bypass? The answer is simple, the more efficient filter will load up sooner, but at what expense? Oil flow is necessary to lubricate rotating parts, prevent engine failure, and help keep the engine cooler, plus again dirty oil flow is better than starving the engine of oil completely (the theory behind the filter bypass). Clean oil is best for long engine life, and a filter that can promote clean oil flow consistently for a longer period of time is a key component of any healthy engine.

When you are talking about filtration, whether it be oil or air, there is a balancing act that has to be performed to ensure your engine gets the protection it needs while giving your engine the most flow possible. Unfortunately, when the focus is an oil filter that is catching extremely small particles at a high percentage, the tradeoff is flow rate. This put the consumer in a "Catch-22" situation. Do you use a filter with the most efficient media at the smallest particle rating, and have the bypass open letting unfiltered oil through the system? Or do you have a filter that does not filter as small a particle size, but filters more of the oil for a longer period of time? K&N filters are designed to give you the balance of oil flow and filtration. Of course, we would like to say we have the most efficient filter at the smallest micron range, but the fact is we are not going to sacrifice oil flow or the quality of filtration by having a high efficiency filter that operates in bypass mode for 80% percent of its life. I know for me personally it's a simple decision, the small particle filtration does not mean anything to me since we are talking about particles I can't see, especially if there is a remote possibility of unfiltered oil touching my bearing surfaces causing premature wear and eventual engine failure.

When you are comparing filters, to make the most informed decision possible, look at the following things (with the least amount of emphasis on micron rating): Filtration efficiency, Filter surface area, bypass setting.

The KN-171 filter has a nominal micron rating of 25, meaning it will capture 25 micron particles with at least 50% efficiency. The filtration efficiency of the KN-171 at 5 microns is 3%. The KN-171 also has 165 sqin. of filter area partially the reason it flows 25% better than the OE, paired with a bypass that opens at 14psi. The Harley Davidson filter 95.8% efficient at 5 micron and 98.6% at 25 micron, it also has 63 sq.in. of media and a bypass that opens at 10psi. This means the Harley filter will run in bypass mode for a significant portion of its installed life, whereas the K&N will allow oil to flow through the filter for a longer period of time.

In my personal opinion, this makes the K&N filter the clear choice.

There's a lot to comment on, but will point one thing out that's wrong. Might come back for more.

He talks about the clearance between parts, and thinks that is what matters with respect to contaminated oil particle size and wear. It's actually the thickness of the oil film between moving parts, not the mechanical clearance between parts as called out in a sevice manual - there are two different things. The running MOFT between parts can be much smaller than the max mechanical clearance between parts. This is why it's particles below 20u that do the majority of wear.

That K&N employee doesn’t know much about how oil filters truly work….

Like Zee said particles between 20-10 microns cause the most wear by FAR. It ain’t 45 micron sized particles causing that.

And flow is not restricted by a highly efficient oil filter. Especially one with real synthetic filter media.

And capacity is much higher with synthetic media oil filters. It won’t load up very fast unless that motor is on its last legs.

That guy needs to get a t shirt like this one….

IMG_0498.jpeg

There's a lot to comment on, but will point one thing out that's wrong. Might come back for more.

He talks about the clearance between parts, and thinks that is what matters with respect to contaminated oil particle size and wear. It's actually the thickness of the oil film between moving parts, not the mechanical clearance between parts as called out in a sevice manual - there are two different things. The running MOFT between parts can be much smaller than the max mechanical clearance between parts. This is why it's particles below 20u that do the majority of wear.
Excellent point.

That K&N employee doesn’t know much about how oil filters truly work….

Like Zee said particles between 20-10 microns cause the most wear by FAR. It ain’t 45 micron sized particles causing that.

And flow is not restricted by a highly efficient oil filter. Especially one with real synthetic filter media.

And capacity is much higher with synthetic media oil filters. It won’t load up very fast unless that motor is on its last legs.

That guy needs to get a t shirt like this one….

View attachment 205919
Excellent points also.

I’ve been using the HiFlo Filtro oil on my Road King, I love the nut on the end, makes removal of the filter a breeze, but I am thinking maybe I should go back to the Harley OEM filter.

I’ve been using the HiFlo Filtro oil on my Road King, I love the nut on the end, makes removal of the filter a breeze, but I am thinking maybe I should go back to the Harley OEM filter.
I recall a few threads in the past discussing the "5u" Harley filters. I don't think that Harley actually had a % efficiency rating called out that's associated with the 5u particle size, unless they have done so now. Do they say "xx% @ 5u" in their filter specs or on the filter box now?

I guess the question that comes to my mind is how can these aftermarket companies claim they meet or exceed the OEM specifications?
Hard to say, but they would have to know what the OEM specs were in order to make that claim. Most of these filter makers don't even know what their own filter spec are. 😄

I recall a few threads in the past discussing the "5u" Harley filters. I don't think that Harley actually had a % efficiency rating called out that's associated with the 5u particle size, unless they have done so now. Do they say "xx% @ 5u" in their filter specs or on the filter box now?
the next time I’m at a dealer, I am going to check the box for any info.

the next time I’m at a dealer, I am going to check the box for any info.
Might also ask the parts guy if he has any spec literature from Harley on the efficiency % @ xx microns. If it was nominal efficiency (50%) @ 5u I would belive it. But if it's 95-99% @ 5u I'd be surprised.

X2

That K&N employee is talking thru his hat. He wants us to (erroneously) believe that a K&N filter with 50% efficiency at 25 microns is more desirable than Harley's 98.6% at the same 25 microns! And he goes on further to say that because of this, the Harley filter will load up with particles more quickly and go into bypass mode much more so than the K&N filter will. Of course it will, but only IF YOU NEGLECT THE FILTER CHANGE INTERVAL EXCESSIVELY, OR/AND HAVE A VERY DIRTY ENGINE . Very unlikely situation for those who take good care of their machines.

He seems to imply the oil filter is the only and final determiner of oil flow rates. Totally disregards that the most restriction in oil flow comes after the oil filter, i.e., the oil galleries and mostly perhaps the small clearances between moving parts the pressurized oil is supposed to go to.

Last edited:
He seems to imply the oil filter is the only and final determiner of oil flow rates. Totally disregards that the most restriction in oil flow comes after the oil filter, i.e., the oil galleries and mostly perhaps the small clearances between moving parts the pressurized oil is supposed to go to.
The slight difference in oil filter flow resistance (meaning its dP vs Flow curve) doesn't make any real difference to the PD oil pump that matters. It's still going to be forcing the same basic volume of oil through the oiling system. The bypass valve in the filter, if designed right, should account for both the expected flow rate from the pump, and also account for the dP created across the filter media under worse use condition to reduce the time the filter is in bypass.

From the article: "The Harley Davidson filter 95.8% efficient at 5 micron and 98.6% at 25 micron, it also has 63 sq.in. of media and a bypass that opens at 10psi."

I don't really believe those specs - I'd have to see an official ISO 4548-12 test to believe it. The filter's efficiency curve fall off being that shallow in efficiency between 25u and 5u is wild. Per Motorking from Fram, the OG Ultra was 80% @ 5u and 99+% @ 20u. The Harley filter only having ~3% efficiency difference between 25u to 5u is questionable. And it only has 63 sq-in of media area, which means it must really be good at retaining already captured particles as dP increases to obtain those efficiency ratings. It must also be high flow media (meaning low dP vs flow curve) to only require a 10 PSI bypass valve. All sounds too good to be true to me without some proof.

Another good write up that explains the importance of flow vs efficiency balance.
Worse efficiency doesn't always mean "better flow". And "better flow" doesn't really always mean "more flow" - it just means a little less dP across the filter vs flow through it. The media design and the total media area both have a big factor on efficiency and flow resistance dP. Many filters can have high efficiency and low flow dP at the same time. And oiling systems use a PD oil pump for a reason - a few more or less dP across the oil filter is not anything that really matters to the oil pump if it's in good mechanical condition and not always in pressure relief. PD pumps are very rarely in pressure relief when the oil is at full operating temperature.

Last edited:
I had gotten one of these on my Harley Sportster (1200cc) back in the day. Then I heard a bulletin had come out saying don't use the 5 micron filter on a Sporty. Took it off and put the 20/25 micron one on. Not sure exactly the reasoning though.....

I've always liked the idea of an oil filter with two types of media installed. A conventional filter element, and a section with submicron filtration. With the hope that over time even the smallest particulates would be filtered out.

I'm wondering where the K&N oil filter 'promoter' obtained the efficiency specs for the HD filter? I imagine the reference is to the HD "Super Premium5" 5um synthetic filter. Having used one, c&p one and seen others, 'never' have I seen or read (on the box or elsewhere) a published efficiency with a percent. That said, it could be the 98.6% at 25um the K&N promoter lists, but without a citing I'm skeptical. 95.8% @5um, highly doubtful to me. Fwiw, absolute efficiency is at 98.7% which generally rounded to 99%.

Having used and cut open a HD SP 5 oil filter, I wouldn't hesitate to use one on any HD. Unless something has changed, it is a quality full synthetic media filter, that has been made Champ Labs. As with all things HD, it is pricey though. And, I don't buy the flow over filtration points used for the K&N. Read too much to even consider that. I'll say the HD SP5 flows just fine. So for me, reads most like promotion material for use of the K&N filter. But, coming from an employee, not surprising.

Back