Just bought a new computer

Al

Aspire TC-1660-UR11 Desktop Computer; Intel Core i5 11th Gen 11400 2.6GHz Processor; 8GB DDR4-2666 RAM; 512GB Solid State Drive; Intel UHD Graphics 730; Microsoft Windows 10 Home; 8X DVD-Writer Double-Layer Drive (DVD-RW); 10/100/1000 Network; Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11ax Dual-Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz; Bluetooth 5.2
1 of (SKU) 333328 @ $569.99
TOTAL: $569.99

So far so good. After 15 years of Ubuntu. I had enough.

windows only sucks when it's full of preinstalled oem crap that never fully deletes and on top of that its forced to run on single channel 4gb ram and a mechanical rust spinner. But at least 8gb of dual channel ram and any ssd and something of a processor with at least 2 modern cores and 4 threads will be perfectly fine.

If i were you id highly suggest loading windows 10 not 11 on a flash drive and doing a clean install. Doing a "factory reset" doesn't delete the hidden garbage. I did a factory recent on am hp laptop and just under 100gb's were taken up. Nothing changed with the reset until i did a clean install and the storage went down to 36gb and it ran much faster and it was a new laptop with an ssd. only hard part was getting the usb to boot to the installer but youtube is the man.

Reactions: Pew
for sure every microsoft upgrade is a DOWNGRADE IMO! i mostly look at forums + buy a few things BUT enjoy learning IF its NOT censored or BS! sure beats overpriced TV!!!

I will wait a bit to make any changes. So far I am happy with it. I am fortunate to have a son that graduated 25 years ago as a computer engineer and is a certified computer architect.

Decent specs! Win 10 runs okay on a PC with 8GB RAM, an i5 and an SSD. Anything less and it just runs too slow and gets annoying. I think in the past you could get away with upgrading the operating system on an older PC and it ran okay to get by, but after Windows 10 you need the performance just for all the extra stuff that is running, especially on enterprise machines that might be running even more things in the background.

Get a 3080 and you’ll be in business!
you know how much they cost now?

It is a decent machine, I'd check what kind of memory it uses (likely JEDEC DDR4 3200), and get a stick of identical spec to add to it, make use of the dual bank and higher bandwidth.

I use ubuntu at work, not sure what's the big deal about it and I'd use a more user-friendly OS at home any day (OSX, Windows, anything with real user in mind).

I recently did a few upgrades to my 2016 tower ( Intel Core i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz/3.41 GHz). The OS and programs are now on a 500GB Micron NVME M.2 SSD and all data is on a 2TB WD Black. I upped the RAM to 32. Clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Version 19043.1526. It works alright for my needs.

I just put Windows 11 on my laptop last week. So far no problems or compatibility issues.

I meant to say it's a 2018 model. I like to get at least 6 years out of my computers. This midlife refresh should get me to the swansong of Windows 10 in 3 years.

I meant to say it's a 2018 model. I like to get at least 6 years out of my computers. This midlife refresh should get me to the swansong of Windows 10 in 3 years.

You should have no troubles with that. I am running a 2012 Dell Optiplex with a SSD, 16gb ram, and an i5 CPU. It runs Windows 11 fine.

I've always been a huge Intel fan, but it seems that today, you pay more for an Intel product. Mama is using an i9, 9900kf, a good gaming CPU. The competitive AMD Ryzen 7 5800X competitor is $200 less and has some advantages. To find a better Intel unit, one would have to move up to the 11900k.

You should have no troubles with that. I am running a 2012 Dell Optiplex with a SSD, 16gb ram, and an i5 CPU. It runs Windows 11 fine.
CPU hasn't been a problem with most office task these days for a long time already. The reason most people need a new PC usually involves some sort of media instruction update to support new software (browser needing new instruction to process video, OS need new instruction to make things look pretty, security patch requirement so you have to catch up to the latest OS or browser), and of course for people wanting to play the latest game you need certain support even if you don't need a powerful GPU.

I typically could run my motherboard + CPU for 10 years and toss them away before they start having problems. Power supply, fan, accessories from small companies (Creative Labs, some SAN or NAS stuff made by Netgear, USB devices etc) may go bad over time or stop working because new OS patches fix a security flaw they were using means they go to trash, etc.

As much as I hate to waste stuff and send things to landfill, the trend for non gaming rig seems to be buy low end, buy often, to avoid getting stuck with expensive bricks due to security flaw or technology changes, power consumption in the long run, etc.

Back