John McCain has passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/25/politics/john-mccain-obituary/index.html

Quote:
(CNN)Whenever America was in a fight during his long lifetime, John McCain was in the thick of it.

McCain, who has died at the age of 81, was a naval bomber pilot, prisoner of war, conservative maverick, giant of the Senate, twice-defeated presidential candidate and an abrasive American hero with a twinkle in his eye.
The Arizonan warrior politician, who survived plane crashes, several bouts of skin cancer and brushes with political oblivion, often seemed to be perpetually waging a race against time and his own mortality while striving to ensure that his five-and-a-half years as a Vietnam prisoner of war did not stand as the defining experience of his life.
He spent his last few months out of the public eye in his adopted home state of Arizona, reflecting on the meaning of his life and accepting visits from a stream of friends and old political combatants.
In a memoir published in May, McCain wrote that he hated to leave the world, but had no complaints.
"It's been quite a ride. I've known great passions, seen amazing wonders, fought in a war, and helped make peace," McCain wrote. "I've lived very well and I've been deprived of all comforts. I've been as lonely as a person can be and I've enjoyed the company of heroes. I've suffered the deepest despair and experienced the highest exultation.
"I made a small place for myself in the story of America and the history of my times."
McCain had not been in Washington since December, leaving a vacuum in the corridors of the Senate and the television news studios he roamed for decades.

RIP. He was a good guy.
frown.gif

Whoa, I was just randomly thought about him earlier today and wondered how he was doing (I knew his condition wasnt good).

I admired McCain for turning down an opportunity to be repatriated from a North Vietnamese POW camp just because his father and grandfather were high-ranking US naval officers. There was a 'first-in, first-out' code of honour that McCain refused to break. I believe he spent an extra five years in captivity as a result of his integrity.

He also seemed unusual, as a senator, in his willingness to take responsibility for his mistakes and to 'fess up when he felt he'd done wrong.

I respect his for his military service, but feel he should have stepped down when it appeared he had lost his mind.

McCain was not perfect, and no one is. But he was a great American in my view. When I think of him I think Duty, Honor, Country. He exemplified that.

There are a lot of people coming out strongly against Ver_in_IL’s continued membership on this site. For those folks doing so, I would like to offer up an observation I’ve made time and time again over the years: banning a troll from a site is a feather in his cap. OTOH, if you completely ignore his posts, it serves to emasculates him and causes him to eventually lose interest in the site he’s focused on trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back