John Deere Plus 50 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone looking for a dino oil that is still CI4+ rated, this oil is only $13 a gallon and can be found at any John Deere dealer. You ca also get 15% off coupons from the website. I'll be making the switch over this weekend. I am a little stoked to have found this oil.....and just for you "CJ" oil guys, I have no problem with them and know they perform well, but my manual does say that "CI4 oils are best recommended for your engine". So, as long as its available and I can walk in and buy it, then it will be my choice until it becomes an inconvenience to get.

I'm curious to know who the manufacturer of JD oil is in the states. I'm quite sure it's Esso in Canada.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/partsinfo/oils_and_lubricants/oil_plus50_15w40.html

Test Analysis 15W-40

Viscosity @ 40°C................... 119 cSt
Viscosity @ 100°C.................. 15.6 cSt
Viscosity index.................... 139
HTHS @ 150°C....................... 4.4 cP
Pour point......................... -33°C
Flash point........................ 220°C
Total base number (TBN)..... 13.5 mg KOH/g
Sulfated ash level................. 1.55 mass %

nice TBN, anyone know of a VOA???? got my coupon.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
It's rumored that 0w40 might be made by Esso and that the 15W40 might be made by Chevron, but no one ever seems to be able to confirm this.

Here's an old (05) VOA:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=478011#Post478011

I don't think the JD oils are API certified, if that makes a difference to you.

Thanks!!!!,,if this holds true to todays spec looks like a good oil,nice numbers.
20.gif

good MC oil?????

i have used plus 50 15w-40 for about 15 years and always received very good uoa. the plus 50 means that you can extend manufacturers recomended drain by 50%. their 0w-40 i did have an issue with last fall, its only ch-4 and it had sheared down to 10.5cst at only 125 hrs, according to deere that specific blend they had just learned is not compatible with usld, and bought all back i had in stock no questions asked and replaced what was in use with 15w-40(deere6076 marine) like stated above their 15w-40 is very good oil, i have used it in several different trucks and boats for many years with no issues

Their 15w40 is a good oil, I have used it in a lot of equipment. It is a little on the heavy side, but that won't bother you in TX.

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
Schaeffer #151 MolyBond X200 15w40 is CI+ as well...

Yeah, I like Schaeffer oils, but you can't walk in and buy it anywhere. It goes back to ordering, which to me is a PITA.

Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
Schaeffer #151 MolyBond X200 15w40 is CI+ as well...

Yeah, I like Schaeffer oils, but you can't walk in and buy it anywhere. It goes back to ordering, which to me is a PITA.

Lucky for me there's a distributor in Boise...
banana2.gif

Caution, I'm allowing my opinions to seep out here, so for goodness sake, don't beat me up for the generalizations I'm about to make ...

I see no reason not to run this oil in the Dmax. But that's partly because a Dmax is an engine that seems to care little about what oil it has in it. All quality HDEOs seem to provide good to stellar UOA results. As long as you use an HDEO in proper grade, the Dmax will like it.

As we most all realize, PSDs seem to be a bit more finicky. Not that they can't perform well, because many do, but for some reason PSDs seem to be more individually sensitive to certain HDEOs. One PSD might like MC oil, while the next likes Rotella, while the next likes Amsoil, and so on.

The Cummins seems to like any oil, but it certainly likes consistency of approach. In other words, you can pick any oil you want, and as long as you stick with it, the UOAs will be absolutely outstanding.
thumbsup2.gif
Hopping from oil to oil in a Cummins does not hurt anything, but it sometimes can give a bouncing effect in short term UOAs. But once you stick with an oil, they seem to become the Rock of Gibraltar in steady performance. A CTD can turn in some of the best UOAs you'll ever see, but they thrive on consistency of approach.

Running JD CI-4 oil in your Dmax likely won't hurt/help any more than running Delvac CJ-4. They all look good in a Dmax. Simply put, they are less finnicky about what you run in them.

Yeah, I drive a Dmax. But my neighbor runs a PSD, and a friend at work runs a Dodge. I enjoy the comparisons we do with UOAs, and the friendly "brand discussions" we get into.
grin2.gif
But I've come to realize this: most any of today's well made engines run quite well with well made oil.

So, Cowhorse, to your point, as long as you can get it and it's reasonable in cost, there's no reason not to use it!

Last edited:
C'mon Dave, you know I wouldn't beat you up for your opinions!!
grin2.gif
Yours are always well educated, so they are more than welcome. I do agree that the DMax (what I drive) will do well on any oil. Since changing back over to Dino and getting rid of the ByPass, my OCI's will be every 10k, so I figured why not? Like you said, it will do well and quite honestly, just give me peace of mind I guess. If it becomes hard to get or an inconvenience, then it would be Delvac since you can get that just about anywhere.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
It's rumored that 0w40 might be made by Esso and that the 15W40 might be made by Chevron, but no one ever seems to be able to confirm this.

Appears to be Chevron, based on the MSDS here. Type in the part number (TY6389) at the John Deere Part # field.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
the plus 50 means that you can extend manufacturers recomended drain by 50%.

No, that's not what it means. When JD introduced it, they were very specific that using this TorqGard Plus50 oil allowed you to run 50 hours longer between drains than their standard TorqGard engine oil, in existing/older John Deere tractors. That hasn't really applied for some time, since they started writing owners manuals around the Plus50 oil.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
the plus 50 means that you can extend manufacturers recomended drain by 50%.

No, that's not what it means. When JD introduced it, they were very specific that using this TorqGard Plus50 oil allowed you to run 50 hours longer between drains than their standard TorqGard engine oil, in existing/older John Deere tractors. That hasn't really applied for some time, since they started writing owners manuals around the Plus50 oil.

well no matter 50 hrs or 50% this looks like a pretty good oil, i picked some up the other day for my ATV,should work good in that.

In VERY typical John Deere fashion, their printed literature runs amuck (sp?) in errors and/or mis-information.

My most current ('02) 5420 manual simply states: "Extended service intervals may apply when John Deere preferred oils are used. Consult your John Deere dealer for more information". My '97 5300 manual has the 50 hour extension.

The JD website still says: "When used in John Deere engines with John Deere oil filters, drain intervals may increase 50 percent over operator's manual recommendations." http://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/partsinfo/oils_and_lubricants/oil_plus50_15w40.html

Either way, I am not convinced JD oil is anything special, unless you prefer the CI+ rating. If it is Chevron made, I "remember" (a questionable memory) a past comparison to Delo showed the JD having lower specs..

While each brand has it's high points (specification wise), I doubt one could notice an engine longevity difference using most HDEO oils at common sense intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back