Jetta tint film decision

The Jetta I acquired last year is due for some tint for an upcoming trip.
Need some opinions on these choices based on quotes so far. Only have recommendation for the first shop, the others are yelped.
1. 3M color stable $350. Shop was recommended by a coworker.
2. Autobahn Black: $325 black ceramic: $500 i3 ceramic: $750 (not sure I want to shell $750 for my $1000 car)
3. carbon Solar Gard galaxy $325, nano ceramic Rayno S7 $425 - from my reading seems Rayno isn't very good.
4. Xpel CS black $329

FYI I want 35% VLT on the front and 5% VLT on the rear. Primary concern is not having thieves counting inventory of the contents of the rear of the wagon.

Last edited:
True for Northern California. I did have my Maxima tinted for $90 in 2017 when I used to live in SoCal, supposedly with Suntek. Fronts got hazy after 3 years, rears are getting some purple. Want something better this time.

Need some opinions on these choices based on quotes so far. Only have recommendation for the first shop, the others are yelped.
2. Autobahn Black: $325 black ceramic: $500 i3 ceramic: $750 (not sure I want to shell $750 for my $1000 car)
3. carbon Solar Gard galaxy $325, nano ceramic Rayno S7 $425 - from my reading seems Rayno isn't very good.
4. Xpel CS black $329

FYI I want 35% VLT on the front and 5% VLT on the rear. Primary concern is not having thieves counting inventory of the contents of the rear of the wagon.
Just getcha some sun glasses. You'll look cool and avoid a bad tint job. .02

Goodness. Do folks still tint their own windows with a bottle of Windex? I need to do two on a Trailblazer.

4. Xpel CS black $329

Go with Ceramic

I have Rayno Phantom S9 nano-Carbon-Ceramic on 2 cars, and been happy with it. With the Phantom S9 also on my panoramic sunroof on my Tiguan, and 3M Ceramic IR on the panoramic sunroof on my Toyota Highlander.

5% VLT sounds tempting, but have fun seeing out the back window when driving and parking.

Go with Ceramic

I have Rayno Phantom S9 nano-Carbon-Ceramic on 2 cars, and been happy with it. With the Phantom S9 also on my panoramic sunroof on my Tiguan,
5% VLT sounds tempting, but have fun seeing out the back window when driving and parking.
How long have you had the S9 on those cars?
My Maxima has 5% in the back, 50% front. I've managed not to hit anything backing up at night so far (only an issue in unlit places - like a forest), by sticking my head out the window :). Driving (forward) is better with the tint, cutting down on the glare from aftermarket LED and raised trucks.

As an addition to my original post, seems Solar Guard Galaxie isn't that great either.

How long have you had the S9 on those cars?
My Maxima has 5% in the back, 50% front. I've managed not to hit anything backing up at night so far (only an issue in unlit places - like a forest), by sticking my head out the window :). Driving (forward) is better with the tint, cutting down on the glare from aftermarket LED and raised trucks.

As an addition to my original post, seems Solar Guard Galaxie isn't that great either.
3 years

Rocky Mountain in Livermore is a formula one dealer. He’s a great tinter.

No relation to the one in Sacramento though.

At this point I'm leaning towards:

4. $400 front windows with XPEL XR 35%, and everything behind that with XPEL CS black 5%

5. $385 front windows with F1 Pinnacle 35% and everything behind that with F1 Classic 5%. The place supposedly does laser cutting.

Shop 1 seems booked for a while.

No 20% in the front ? Not allowed? I found it better than 35 and no one checks here for %

Ceramic does work. The car is still hot but not as hot after sitting. Is it worth the extra $ that’s hard to say.

No 20% in the front ? Not allowed? I found it better than 35 and no one checks here for %

Ceramic does work. The car is still hot but not as hot after sitting. Is it worth the extra $ that’s hard to say.
CA law is no more than 70% VLT up front. But it’s not really strictly enforced

Back