Jeep CRD Differential Oil Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the CRD in for it's first 20,000 km service last week. Using a 10,000 km severe service interval (Schedule B) for it. After the CI-4+ RTS was poured in, the mechanic started checking off the vehicle's service card list of service items. He couldn't believe that it called for both front and rear differentials to have their synthetic gear oil to be replaced. He looked ahead and noticed that this is repeated EVERY 20,000 kms! That's just nuts. Needless to say, we didn't bother. I would assume that this is overkill. Anybody out there have any thoughts or information on it? Thanks.

John.

My only thought?

I hope you got that mechanic to put his "nuts" idea of not changing the fluid in WRITTING.

If you have a problem with the differentials, they can now claim you didn't follow the recommended intervals. This can fault your warranty and deny you claim.

I would've changed the gear oils and X-case just to get out the factory fill, break-in wear,.....
Pick high quality synthetic boutique fluids and then stretch that gear oil change interval.

When following a schedule, don't be component selective.

What is defined as severe service? Are they thinking of water getting in the diffs, I wonder? What is the drain interval under normal service conditions?

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
I would've changed the gear oils and X-case just to get out the factory fill, break-in wear,.....
Pick high quality synthetic boutique fluids and then stretch that gear oil change interval.

When following a schedule, don't be component selective.

What he said
wink.gif

I would drain the diffs and T-case just to get the wear metals out. DIY, simple job. I did my Jeep at 3000 miles and do it every 30K. I mean it costs a whole 5 qts of gear lube and 2 qts ATF. I use the Amsoil so maybe 45$ worth of fluids. Cheap insurance to make sure my WJ lives a long happ life.

I would advise changing it to get the initial wear material out. After that, put in Amsoil, Redline, M1, etc. in the proper viscosity and run it out to 100K. I also own a Chrysler vehicle (Dodge 2500 w/ Cummins) and it specs to change both axles with high dollar synthetic every 15K. It is an 85 dollar job each time with Amsoil. Last fill was ran on Valvoline Synpower for 20K and when I pulled the diff covers the oil looked good and there was virtually no wear material on the magnets. I call B.S. on the Chrysler recommendations and am running this fill of Amsoil 75w-140 to 100K (60K miles) before I dump it. And this vehicle is almost always hooked to a trailer.

My 2004 Chevy 2500HD company truck has the same rear axle as my Dodge, and it has 111,000 on the original fluid!

My manual for my Jeep Wrangler has the same schedule for both the front and rear diffs but with a little star next to it. On the bottom of the page, next to the star, it explains that this only applies if you do a lot of towing / off-roading...

I would change the oil once at 20K kilometers then change it after 48K kilos/30K miles. Unless you do tow a lot and do a lot of off-roading…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back