Jeep 4.0 under valve cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your engine looks to be in fine shape. I'd almost forgotten just how long a straight-6 can be!
smile.gif

Seems okay to me. I've seen worse and better. Yours is right in the middle. Fix your consumption issue and forget what the other forums say. I have only been here a short while but the facts and proofs of the bitog members have been correct 99.6% of the time. That .1% less than Rush Limbaugh so its pretty impressive. This site has always steered me in the right direction and you too will get nothing but honest opinions, guesses, and hard facts. Enjoy your JEEP

Pennzoil 20w50 or Ultra Platinum 10w30 should help control the varnish. I certainly would not eat off that filthy valve train
smile.gif

If your goal is not a 1M mile car and to eat off your valve train at that mileage, then why are you even at BITOG? Seriously!
smile.gif

Last edited:
I'm surprised it has any varnish at all considering the tdt run.
Perhaps it's just stained now and nothing will remove it?
Looks good to me but I'm not that fussy

To the OP, did you ever look under the valve cover when you first bought the vehicle, or try to look down the oil fill hole with a flashlight?

The previous poster before me was surprised at the varnish considering the TDT run.

I was wondering if the varnish was a lot darker when the vehicle was first purchased, and the TDT helped to lighten it up.

I say this because I tried TDT in two of our vehicles, both with over 100,000 miles using oils other than Mobil. The one vehicle was bought with 90,000 miles on. It was in a used car lot, so, I couldn't talk to the previous owner to asked about the oil change intervals or what oil was used, but there was varnish on the rocker arms and valve train area, which I could see a flashlight down the oil fill hole.

In both cases, I could see definite cleaning happening when I use the TDT. Some of the dark varnish is come off in patches, and on the valve springs, the varnish is now coming off and I can see the clean metal now. It's almost weird to look at. The way the metal is becoming cleaner.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Thoughts?

When the time comes to pull the valve cover from my Jeep I do hope to find as clean valvetrain as yours.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
To the OP, did you ever look under the valve cover when you first bought the vehicle, or try to look down the oil fill hole with a flashlight?

The previous poster before me was surprised at the varnish considering the TDT run.

I was wondering if the varnish was a lot darker when the vehicle was first purchased, and the TDT helped to lighten it up.

I say this because I tried TDT in two of our vehicles, both with over 100,000 miles using oils other than Mobil. The one vehicle was bought with 90,000 miles on. It was in a used car lot, so, I couldn't talk to the previous owner to asked about the oil change intervals or what oil was used, but there was varnish on the rocker arms and valve train area, which I could see a flashlight down the oil fill hole.

In both cases, I could see definite cleaning happening when I use the TDT. Some of the dark varnish is come off in patches, and on the valve springs, the varnish is now coming off and I can see the clean metal now. It's almost weird to look at. The way the metal is becoming cleaner.

Honestly, I first shined a flashlight down the fill hope after becoming a member here.
smile.gif

This was my first time removing the valve cover too. I believe it was the original gasket.

All that said, you bring up a very good point. It could have been MUCH worse from the PO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back