JD will not start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been a "run it dry" kind of guy. As the fuel would near "E" I'd dribble a 1/2 ounce of MMO into the tank thinking I was preventing corrosion.
I haven't owned any MMO for 30+ years.

Fresh fuel, two pulls and I've always good.

Actually, this year the old Sensation mower (Briggs & Stratton 3.5 w/rotating valves) would only idle. After 5 minutes or so it would rev to full speed.
I'd love to see what a "good" carb set-up looks like. I have a big, bent crooked spring and vague things pivoting around.
Glad it runs.

It's 40 years old and has been cared for by nobody but me. I tried 40W oil and maybe should go back to 30W. Is 5W-30 OK?

what riding mower.. there is 50 years and at least 100 versions.

I'm a run it dry for the tractors.. but I have a fuel shutoff valve..

usually takes 30s of cranking to pull up the fuel.

does yours even have a fuel pump or is it gravity feed(gas tank under hood)

I gave had problems with the fuel pump sticking. The bowl is dry, and with the slow speed of cranking it will not fill the bowl. Shot of start fluid, carb cleaner etc, engine fires, pump breaks free and gas flows.

Rod

Try pulling the fuel line from the carb and seeing if you have any fuel in the line. If not, stick the end of the line in cup and see if it flows while cranking. Sometimes the fuel system has trouble priming with just the starter.

Have an update to situation.

Was going to pull the fuel line to the carb to see if there was any gas in there .

Just for poops and giggles I tried to start it , one try nothing .

Sat for 30 seconds and fired up on the next try.

Like another poster mentioned it seems like the pump lost the prime maybe ?

Left it run for 10 minutes, then cut my whole lawn .

Ran like it always does .

Will have to figure out a way to get it started easier next Spring .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back