JD plus 50 10w-30 07 powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Typically boring, monotonous (excellent) results from your rig/lube combo.

Not much shearing, but we know why.

I'd suggest you could extend, but I know you won't.

Keep on keepin' on!

Correct on all points!

I'm quite satisfied remaining within factory recommended intervals, especially after reading UOA's where guys are changing oil in these trucks at 3,000-5,000mi intervals with synthetic!

I haven't had the TBN/TAN tested due to availability of the kits at my dealer, but at thirteen dollars and change per UOA I'm more than satisfied with my current maintainence program.

Last edited:
I see no need for the added cost of TBN/TAN in your circumstance; other than fodder for banter, it'd be worthless to you. You're not extending, so the info would have no value.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I see no need for the added cost of TBN/TAN in your circumstance; other than fodder for banter, it'd be worthless to you. You're not extending, so the info would have no value.

Exactly, my point being that staying within owners manual specs, and with the way everything looks in this and previous samples all is well.

UPDATE

Just received UOA from my latest OC;

7,371 mi. on sample/ 151 hrs.
178,884 mi. total on truck
sample date 7/12/13
John Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30 CJ-4
Oil & Filter changed at the time of sample
Sampling lab is OILSCAN (Deere)

iron........................14
chromium.....................1
nickel...................... aluminum.....................4
lead.........................5
copper.......................2
tin..........................1
silver,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, titanium.................... silicon......................7
boron......................316
sodium.......................1
potassium..................,10
molybdenum.................311
phosphorus................1056
zinc......................1264
calcium...................1558
barium.....................,10
magnesium..................953
antimony................... vanadium.................... viscosity @100C...........10.4
fuel...................... T/S % vol....................1

Just posting to keep everyone updated, nothing out of the ordinary for this truck/oil for 100,000 mi. since switching to 10w-30. I bought this truck new in '07 and switched to 10w-30 several years ago.

Last edited:
Yet another boring (great) UOA. Both the lube and engine are performing at a very high level.

I realize you'll not extend; I know you won't. But you certainly could. I simply mention it as fodder for those who might consider if it's possible, which your series certainly proves that it is.

Vis remains consistent; proof that thicker grades are prone to shearing while thinner grades are more steady. The HEUI is likely the culprit of shearing in most other folks samples; as you and I have seen, thinner HDEOs don't readily shear in HEUI. Also, your continued UOAs exhibit how thinner vis in no way results in real wear issues! Thinner HDEOs have all the benefits of fuel economy and easier starting, and yet will not manifest into real wear, despite what fear mongers will say. Both your UOAs and mine prove that each and every time.

You must be driving a fair amount at highway rates; your average speed is nearly 49mph. Is that typical of your pattern?

Done the 5R110 fluid yet? (Will a UOA be forthcoming on that?)

Yes my usual driving pattern is to load it down and drive approx 150 mi. one way, and then do the same to get home which is why my average speed is much higher than normal.

It also proves, at least in my application, that 10w-30 is more than up to the task is these medium duty diesel engines. As long as the oil cooler is functioning as designed oil temps are never an issue.

The Mercon SP you sent me is in my transmission, thanks again!
No UOA on the trans fluid, it gets drained and filled at 30,000mi. intervals per owners manual. On this trans a drain and fill amounts to roughly 7 quarts. At 150,000mi. I had the dealer exchange the entire capacity via a hot flush, the only way to do an entire exchange due to the thermostat in the system.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Yes my usual driving pattern is to load it down and drive approx 150 mi. one way, and then do the same to get home ...

Exactly what any diesel truck is made for. They are not meant to be daily communters, and that's part of why some folks have so many issues with them. They run best under a good load, and probably do so "cleaner" in some sense, as they get hot enough to burn most of the hydrocarbons. Your low soot content over these UOAs is yet more proof of that.

I'm glad the SP found a good home!

Last edited:
Updated UOA 7/31/14
Deere 10w-30 Plus 50 II
7,245 mi. on this change
202,317 mi. total
oil and filter were changed at time of sample

iron......................12
chromium...................1
aluminum...................3
lead.......................3
copper.....................1
tin....................... silver................... titanium.................. silicon....................6
boron....................278
sodium.....................1
potassium................ molybdenum...............279
phosphorus...............948
zinc....................1111
calcium.................1426
barium................... magnesium................891
vanadium.................. [email protected]
fuel................... T/S......................1.0

I reported this sample for continued UOA evidence that 10w-30 is fine to run in a 6.0, or many other diesel applications. My 6.0 has shown no mechanical ill effects from 10w-30 and has been the only grade/brand since 84,000 mi., and there has been no make-up oil needed or added between OCI's.

These 10w30 reports keep intriguing me. I picked up a bunch of Mobil 1 TDT when AutoZone had their $12.99/gallon special earlier this year, but once that is gone I may give one of the 10w30's a shot. Seeing the viscosity steady at 11.0 after a 7,500mi run is outstanding and furthers the notion that HEUI system prefers a 30-weight from the get-go. Well done sir.

One question I do have though... is your truck tuned at all or just stock? Any b5/b20? Thanks in advance.

Stock truck, minus the kitty, 99% of my fuel is BP diesel supreme, delivered to my bulk tank, no bio, but I do add the Deere diesel fuel additive(Stanadyne formulated).

rr1 -

yet another boring report (yawn) ...

How much "better" can any report get? Seriously?
Your metals are all WELL in control, and low. Your Fe is tracking well with miles, and the other metals are all at a level lower than 1ppm/1k miles!
No contaminaion; no huge vis shift; etc.
All on a good quality dino 10w-30.

Perhaps it could be "better"? You know, if you ran synthetics, maybe they would actually add metal back to the components? Healing cylinder wall wear scars and filling in the horrific bearing gouges that dino leaves behind? That's about the only way I'd consider syns to be "better" ...
grin2.gif

Your continued use of the product, and these type results, simply confound the "thicker is better; syns are required" folks.

PS - would be great if you dumped the data into a block-text tool and posted so that we could see the progression of data rather than single shots.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting roadrunner1. Is this oil commonly stocked in JD dealers? I'd like to try it someday but I normally get my truck serviced on the road and could be anywhere in the U.S. so I'd pull into a dealer and grab some as I approach an oil change.

My truck is spec'd for 10w30 but out on the road all I see is syn blend which I don't need for my oci's.

My dealer stocks it, sorry I don't know what other dealers stock but it should be a regular stock item.

My dealer stocks it, sorry I don't know what other dealers stock but it should be a regular stock item.

Fair enough...thanks for replying!

Originally Posted By: dustyroads

Yes any JD dealer should have this oil on hand.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: dustyroads

Yes any JD dealer should have this oil on hand.

I guess it seems logical that they would but I wondered if 15w40 was the more common grade and maybe 10w30 had to be ordered. I'll look into with my local dealers first. Thanks for your reply too, daman.

How does AMSOIL OE 10w30 compare? I've been using this oil exclusively the past two years.

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
AMSOIL OE 10W-30 Synthetic Diesel Oil(OEC)
10W-30
(OEC)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D445)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D445)
Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270)
CCS Viscosity, cP (ASTM D5293)
5610 @ -25°C
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D92)
220 (428)
Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D92)
236 (457)
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D97)
-38 (-36)
NOACK Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D5800)
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896)
High-Temperature/High-Shear Viscosity, cP (ASTM D5481)
Four-Ball Wear Test (ASTM D4172)

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
How does AMSOIL OE 10w30 compare? I've been using this oil exclusively the past two years.

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
AMSOIL OE 10W-30 Synthetic Diesel Oil(OEC)
10W-30
(OEC)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D445)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D445)
Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270)
CCS Viscosity, cP (ASTM D5293)
5610 @ -25°C
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D92)
220 (428)
Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D92)
236 (457)
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D97)
-38 (-36)
NOACK Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D5800)
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896)
High-Temperature/High-Shear Viscosity, cP (ASTM D5481)
Four-Ball Wear Test (ASTM D4172)

I have the specs so you can compare; John Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30

viscosity @ 40C ................ 86.6 cSt
viscosity @ 100C................ 12.1 cSt
viscosity index................. 133
HTHS viscosity @ 150 C.......... 3.6 cP
pour point...................... -40 C
flash point..................... 223 C
TBN............................. 10.5
sulfated ash level.............. 1.0 mass %

Last edited:
I think regular price is $17 per gallon but they do run a sale every winter, either jan. or feb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back