JD plus 50 10w-30 07 powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only pull a trailer occassionally, but I load the bed to 4,000 lbs. daily along with 4 men and run 150 mi. down the highway in 90f + heat.

Ford did issue a TSB allowing the use of 10w-30 upto and including 90f, as you can see from my UOA's it isn't an issue for me.

While this is not my UOA thread, I'll comment on the towing and thinner 10w-30 HDEOs. See this thread about heat, towing and dino 10w-30 ...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2323660&page=1
You really could not be purposely harder on the oil than I was in that UOA event. And yet it protected just fine. 10w-30 HDEO conventional oil works very well in PSDs, Dmaxs, and in Cummins. I'm not saying you need it or is it even "preferred". I'm simply stating that the fear of thinner HDEOs when towing in heat is overblown and exaggerated. The UOAs of roadrunner1 and mine, in particular, show this to be true.

However, being that GBL is in GA, I don't really see any benefit to using 10w-30, and the attainment of 15w-40 is too easy to ignore. The only possible gain would be in fuel economny. But wear protection is going to be moot where he is at, contrasting 10w-30 and 15w-30.

Last edited:
The latest UOA rolled across the printing press this morning, so I thought I would add it to the rest.

'07 6.0 F350 Powerstroke
7,480 mi. on sample
164,919 total mi.
133 hrs. on sample
3,220 total hrs.
Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30
no make-up oil added
sample date 10/6/12
oil and filter was changed at the time of sample

iron.................................10
chromium............................. nickel............................... aluminum............................. lead..................................2
copper................................1
tin.................................. silver.............................. titanium............................. silicon...............................6
boron...............................260
sodium............................... potassium........................... molybdenum..........................261
phosphorus.........................1097
zinc...............................1357
calcium............................1624
barium.............................. magnesium..........................1079
antimony............................ vanadium............................. fuel% vol............................ t/s% vol..............................1
water% vol........................... vis cs 100c........................10.4

Stellar as usual. Darn that thin oil; it just keeps on protecting. And yet it doesn't shear much if any in the HEUI. You really should start running those OCIs out further.

Any chance you could put all the history into a "block text" tool like notepad so we could see them consequtively? As much as your singular UOAs are great, they would really tell a better story when placed together. PM me if you need info.

Last edited:
I have always been apprehensive of extending OC's on either of my 6.0's due to all of the oil side injector failures I have read about. The guys on the 6.0 forums change at 3,000-5,000 mi.

I am sure, at least the way all of my UOA's have come back, that I could do 10,000mi OCI's without issue. Maybe the next OC I'll do an TBN test also to see where I'm at.

I'll slow down the second half of December and then see if I can get something put together using notepad or something similar to "notebook" my UOA's.

This grade/brand of oil seems to work fine in my application, at currently 166,xxx mi. this truck has been absolutely the best vehicle I have ever owned, with my wifes '06 Milan a very close second.

I'd have to say that the "grade/brand" is more than doing "fine"; you've seen simply excellent service from that product over it's use.

I have some quesitons about your specific expereince with the PSD; I'll PM you when I get a chance.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I would say it's a matter of how badly you want the fluid.

The two prominent HDEOs in 10w-30 are JD plus 50 and the Rotella. I'm sure any JD dealer would order it for you, and I know that the Rotella is available at any Walmart, AAP and others (if not not on the shelf, they will order it for you as well).

There is also the amsoil oe 10w30 diesel synthetic. I'm currently using it now 400 miles ago. I will pull a sample at 7k miles. I'm really interested and how this oil stacks up against the stout John Deere 10w30 and Rotella t5.

Yes please let us know when the UOA results are in.

Quite honestly I don't remember if I have seen a UOA from a 6.0 with the T5 10w-30 Rotella or Amsoil.

Reading threads like this keeps pushing me to put more and more faith in catherham's thinner is better viewpoint.
The urge is just so strong.......must resist.
Thanks for the great read

There is a big t5 thread with a few uoas over in the 6.0 section of powerstroke.org. Results are very similar to yours...very good. Thanks again for sharing!

Last edited:
Hey road you ever do a 15w40 run? we use Plus 50II in all our JD equipment just wondering how the specs read.

Just got a fresh 1000 gal. bulk load today,, Mmmmm....

Prior to the switch I made in the 6.0 to 10w-30 the 15w-40 is all I ran.(and still do in the Deere engines speced for it).

It held up very well in the 6.0, I actually have a UOA from '09 here on the desk as I was comparing it to my latest one. If you would like I can post it later.

I have one or two on here that are CJ-4 in a 6076 with 500hrs., I'll see if I can look it up.

All of my UOA's in my 6.0 are with CI-4 15w-40.

Latest UOA;
sample date 2/15/13
10w-30 Deere Plus 50II
oil and filter changed at sample
no make-up oil added
7,564 miles on sample / 153hrs
172,468 miles total / 3,354hrs

iron..........................16
chromium.......................1
aluminum.......................4
lead...........................5
copper.........................2
tin........................... silver....................... titanium...................... boron........................273
sodium.........................5
potassium.................... moly.........................284
phos........................1019
zinc........................1210
calcium.....................1465
barium....................... magnesium....................909
antimony..................... vanadium...................... viscosity 100C..............10.3
fuel........................ T/S............................1
water.......................<0.1

Typically boring, monotonous (excellent) results from your rig/lube combo.

Not much shearing, but we know why.

I'd suggest you could extend, but I know you won't.

Keep on keepin' on!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Latest UOA;
sample date 2/15/13
10w-30 Deere Plus 50II
no make-up oil added

tin........................... silver....................... titanium...................... boron........................273
antimony..................... vanadium...................... viscosity 100C..............10.3
water.......................div>

Odd that the Calcium figure is very different to the figure in your first UOA of 3992.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyship
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Latest UOA;
sample date 2/15/13
10w-30 Deere Plus 50II
no make-up oil added

water.......................div>

Odd that the Calcium figure is very different to the figure in your first UOA of 3992.

The first several posted here were CI-4, with the latter CJ-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back