JD plus 50 10w-30 07 powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the two largest oil companies in the world blend a lubricant for John Deere to Deere's specs that is superior to their own brand AND is less expensive.
OR... John Deere specs a high TBN fluid for longer OCIs while removing superfluous additives to reduce overall cost without hurting oil longevity and sells it for less.

John Deere is proud of their name and green paint and charge a premium price for their products EXCEPT when it comes to JDplus50?

Ignorance is Bliss...

I have no idea what the other lubes can be bought for, remember I was quoting BULK PRICING, not over the counter or off the shelf pricing.

The specs I posted were from the respective manufacturers web sites, check them out for yourself if you like.

You are not going to see this add pack in the Walmart diesels Delvac, delo, rotello etc. This is why Deere oil in in all my farm equipt. Most man. have really lower thier znnp not Deere.
boron...............170
potassium........... moly................119
phos...............1366
zinc...............1569
calcium............3992
barium..............<10

I don't understand why people get so hung up over additive criteria.

Yes, it's a reasonable indicator as to potential of performance.

But UOAs are one of the better tools to show how things actually perform.

You can use a starting roster of baseball team to make a bet, but the knowing the season history of game scores will tell you how the team does to a much better degree.

Therefore, regardless of what a VOA says, the UOAs show JD+50 to be working fine. If the cost ratio satisfies his criteria, and the performance is this good, who really cares what's in the pail?

To update this thread, I recently changed oil in my '07 6.0

sample date: 6/26/12
miles on sample 7,442 (149,600 mi. total)
John Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30 (CJ-4)
No make-up oil was added

iron.............................7
chromium........................ nickel.......................... aluminum.........................1
lead............................ copper..........................11
tin............................. silver......................... titanium........................ silicon.........................10
boron..........................104
sodium...........................3
potassium...................... molybdenum...................... phosphorus....................1287
zinc..........................1546
calcium.......................3764
barium......................... magnesium.......................54
antimony....................... vanadium........................
fuel % vol...................... t/s % vol........................1
water % vol.................... vis cs 100 c..................10.4

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
To update this thread, I recently changed oil in my '07 6.0

sample date: 6/26/12
miles on sample 7,442 (149,600 mi. total)
John Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30 (CJ-4)
No make-up oil was added

iron.............................7
chromium........................ nickel.......................... aluminum.........................1
lead............................ copper..........................11
tin............................. silver......................... titanium........................ silicon.........................10
boron..........................104
sodium...........................3
potassium...................... molybdenum...................... phosphorus....................1287
zinc..........................1546
calcium.......................3764
barium......................... magnesium.......................54
antimony....................... vanadium........................
fuel % vol...................... t/s % vol........................1
water % vol.................... vis cs 100 c..................10.4

Just love that oil,i have 10gal of the old CI4 left then going to the CJ4.

Yet again, a very solid showing for the engine and the lube. Oh - but wait ... thinner grade lubes and dino oils at 7.5k miles in a PS are supposed to be ultra-seriously bad. Apparently, no one told the engine or the lube that!

I love these results; just another stab at the "must use syn" or "can't use thin oils in a diesel". Take that, internet mythology!

When you get a chance, can you put your data into a text-form tool (notepad or such)? That way we could see the successive success of this great lube/engine combo!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Yet again, a very solid showing for the engine and the lube. Oh - but wait ... thinner grade lubes and dino oils at 7.5k miles in a PS are supposed to be ultra-seriously bad. Apparently, no one told the engine or the lube that!

I love these results; just another stab at the "must use syn" or "can't use thin oils in a diesel". Take that, internet mythology!

When you get a chance, can you put your data into a text-form tool (notepad or such)? That way we could see the successive success of this great lube/engine combo!

I'll see what I can put together, my computer skills are at best very limited.

I am very pleased with the results, and I am still convinced its the additive package that some of the other lubes are using that is having fits with the 6.0 fuel injectors. I can't point at the "smoking gun" as to say thats it, its probably a lack of a combination of additives causing the injector issues.

For those not familiar with the 6.0 injection system it uses motor oil as hydraulic fluid to create the high pressure to fire the injectors, its well known to be hard on oil.
The shearing of viscosity has long been the topic of conversation as the cause of the injector issues, but it seems that the 6.0 prefers to run a 30wt., so in my own list of UOA's I can rule out 30 wt. being an issue as I have 300,000 mi. under my belt with two 6.0's with never an injector issue.

We can rule out luck as I believe there is no such thing.

Quote:
I'll see what I can put together, my computer skills are at best very limited.

PM me and I'll help you through it; not hard at all and you probably have the tools but don't know it.

Just an update;
John Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30 CJ-4
miles on oil 7,839
total miles 157,439
oil and filter was changed at the time of sample

iron........................15

chromium....................
nickel......................
aluminum.....................2

lead.........................4

copper.......................1

tin.........................
silver.....................
titanium....................
silicon......................5

boron......................284

sodium.......................1

potassium..................
molybdenum.................295

phosphorus................1064

zinc......................1206

calcium...................1612

barium.....................
magnesium.................1055

antimony...................
vanadium....................
fuel% vol...................
t/s% vol.....................1

water% vol.................
vis cs 100c...............10.4

This run was about two months, probably over 95 % highway, loaded up to 4,000 lbs and hauling 4 men. With all of the record heat we had in June and July I would have to say 30 wt. holds up just fine.

Originally Posted By: Pwr Stroke
Roadrunner1,
Does the John Deere plus 50 have a API CJ4 label?

BTW... Very nice UOA as usual!

No it does not, but it does state that it meets or exceeds CJ-4.

With the evidence of my own UOA's it appears to be well suited for my applications.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Originally Posted By: Pwr Stroke
Roadrunner1,
Does the John Deere plus 50 have a API CJ4 label?

BTW... Very nice UOA as usual!

No it does not, but it does state that it meets or exceeds CJ-4.

With the evidence of my own UOA's it appears to be well suited for my applications.

Kind of what I thought. I looked at this oil when choosing an oil for my '12 6.7 Power Stroke mainly from looking at your stellar UOA, but since it's not API rated, I'll have to pass for warrenty purposes.

Thanks....

roadrunner1's success is well documented; fear not the 10w-30 in a PSD! His dedication and control speak volumes to a good maintenance program.

BTW - Pwr Stroke ... 3 posts in almost 7 years? Now THAT is restraint!
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Roadrunner,
I noticed in your last two UOA's, both with John Deere 50 10W30 CJ4, that your Molybdenum counts were vastly different! <5 and 295. Any clue as to why?

I noticed that also and all I can attribute it to is a lab mix-up.

The last several oil changes has been from the same batch of oil as I bought two 6 gallon cases together.

There were no other wear related abnormalities in that sample and no make-up oil was added.

If something looked wrong with wear metals I would have investigated it further, since everything looked fine I let it go,

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
roadrunner1's success is well documented; fear not the 10w-30 in a PSD! His dedication and control speak volumes to a good maintenance program.

BTW - Pwr Stroke ... 3 posts in almost 7 years? Now THAT is restraint!
grin2.gif

Yeah I'm a long time lurker... I'm well familiar with Roadrunner1's use of 10W30 since my previous truck was a 6.0psd that I ran Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40 at 6,500 OCI's to ~170k and still had all original injectors. Delvac 1300 is a great oil.

The real restraint part is resisting to turn a wrench and drain the oil!

Last edited:
Roadrunner1,

It looks like you're not pulling anything substantial. I pull ~ 18k with mine most of the time and use a 15W-40 dino. Could you use 10W-30 and pull such without problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back